cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Install - VM Evaluation - Installation source not set up

dlucas
Level 1
Level 1

I have been banging my head trying to get a new ISE 2.1 instance deployed, and no matter what settings I select it gets stuck at the very beginning:

Capture.PNG

I have went through the installation guide, Cisco Identity Services Engine Installation Guide, Release 2.1, but i'm either missing something or something is broke - this is for a lab environment in which I just had a instance of ISE 2.1 working, but blew it away when the license expired.

Below are the settings I have selected:

• Guest OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (64-bit)
  • Compatibility: ESXi 5.1 and later (VM version 9)
  • 6 CPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 100GB Disk
  • E1000 NIC
  • Attached .ISO from Datastore to CD/DVD Drive

Any help would be appreciated - feels like I am missing something stupid.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Download a new .iso file and compare the checksums. I've had a completed download of an .iso not work before due to some corruption during the download (usually my ISP).

If you do want to try the .ova route and are using ESXi vCenter or vSphere 6.5, the steps in this video will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxrZkgMV2iU&t=115s

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Try with 200 GB disk since it is the minimum tested for lab use, it might be too small to create the required partitions.

Thanks for the reply,
I bump it to 200GB, and powered it back up - same result.

-Thanks

Surendra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Could be that it is RHEL 7.1 whereas ISE 2.1 supports till RHEL 7.0 ? Not that it should not work, but you know, just saying.

Thanks for the reply,

I don't believe so - I don't have an option to specify the minor version of Linux:

Capture.PNG

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Out of curiosity any preference on version? JW why you would want to deploy an older 2.1 version. A lot of things changed, especially GUI wise as of 2.3. My recommendation is to check release notes to gain a better understanding of the versions, and then make a decision on what you want to roll with. Good luck!

CCIE Lab - exam uses version 2.1

-Thanks

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I have never had to boot ISE 2.1 from an ISO - just curious what your disk interface settings are.  Did you go with the defaults (SCSI I think) ?

Failing that, if you must install ISE 2.1 then perhaps the .OVA is another route - hopefully you don't use vCenter 6.5 because that might not allow you to load those old OVAs.

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Download a new .iso file and compare the checksums. I've had a completed download of an .iso not work before due to some corruption during the download (usually my ISP).

If you do want to try the .ova route and are using ESXi vCenter or vSphere 6.5, the steps in this video will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxrZkgMV2iU&t=115s

I think it may have been something with the .ISO - i ended up downloading version 2.2 ISO, and that one worked fine.
-Thanks