cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE node reimage

manvik
Level 3
Level 3

Anyone knows the steps to reimage an ISE VM node. 

Current disk size is not enough and we would like to increase VM disk size, but Cisco doc says ISE node reimage is required for new VM size to be reflected.

Current is primary node. There are two ISE nodes, in HA. One in DC and other DR.

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is VM - there is no process for re-image ( rather we call re-install)

Personally - i would build 2 new VM with correct Disk requirement and future requirement - and migrate them

look at the requirement :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-3/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide23/b_ise_InstallationGuide23_chapter_01.html#vmwarevmrequirements

I used below document on standalone mode to increase VM disk space it works as expected in the LAB environment, not sure side effects in the Live :

https://www.show-run.ch/ise/1592/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Friend, could you explain the difference between re-image and re-install? Isn't it the same?, thanks

Most of the time used as generic term, but purpose is same.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would reimage these one at a time from the ISO. Download the correct ISO for your version from Cisco.com, shut down the  nodes one at a time, mount the iso to the vm and boot from it. Select option 1 for keyboard and mouse install.

When finished installing, you will have to apply the same top patch following reimage, and install the correct trusted certificates and node certificates as before. You can back these up from the gui prior to reimaging.

But as you found documented, the only way to increase the disk space is to install the OS again. 

Once you shut down the VM, increase the disk size.  Then you can reinstall using the larger disk.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: