cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE - PAN's for Tacacs PSN's for Radius

ShaunGreen
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone any experience of the following?

Currently there are two ISE standalone servers being used for Tacacs for SSH access to switches.

The plan will be to install 3 new PSN's distributed globally and configure 802.1x NAC.

Is it possible to use the 3 PSN's just for Radius and then the two current devices that will be PAN and MnT for the tacacs requests?

Will the two current nodes have to be setup as PAN,MnT and PSN?

Or is it better to also use the regional PSN's for Tacacs as well as Radius, I'm not against this idea, the only thing I can think of is I'll need to change the Tacacs configurations on the switches so they point to the regional PAN's instead of the current servers

Interested to hear your advice.

Thanks,
Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is it possible to use the 3 PSN's just for Radius and then the two current devices that will be PAN and MnT for the tacacs requests?

-Not without enabling policy service persona on the two current devices, which it sounds like you already have them configured this way.

Or is it better to also use the regional PSN's for Tacacs as well as Radius

-I personally would use the same PSNs for both T+ & radius requests.  

-It sounds like your future deployment/migration will fall under a medium deployment.  You will want to separate the policy service persona from your PAN/MNT service enabled nodes.

-Lastly, take a look at the following resources as they contain really good information relating to deployment/personas/scaling/etc.

Cisco ISE & NAC Resources - Cisco Community

HTH!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

-Not without enabling policy service persona on the two current devices, which it sounds like you already have them configured this way.

Or is it better to also use the regional PSN's for Tacacs as well as Radius

-I personally would use the same PSNs for both T+ & radius requests.  

-It sounds like your future deployment/migration will fall under a medium deployment.  You will want to separate the policy service persona from your PAN/MNT service enabled nodes.

-Lastly, take a look at the following resources as they contain really good information relating to deployment/personas/scaling/etc.

Cisco ISE & NAC Resources - Cisco Community

HTH!

Thanks for the advice Mike, appreciate it.

We are only talking about 3000 end points (for Radius) Network device a couple of hundred, but they are geographically separated.
Yep, currently the existing two devices are doing the T+ and Radius for wifi guest users.

Yeah, I like the idea of keeping the PAN's and PAN's and then having the PSN's do the T+ and Radius. Means a little re-configuration, but we are also setting up a DNAC (assurance), so gives us an opportunity to put that to good use too.

Thanks again, Simon.