Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE plus license

alex goshtaei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

we are using base and plus license in ISE2.4, however plus license is about to expired. in order to save money, we would like to disable "windows workstation 10 and 7" profile policy since we didn't create any authorization policy with these profile, and we want to use plus license (profiling) only for IP phone and printers. 

is there any outcome if we disable "windows workstation 10 and 7" profile policy to save plus license? 

thanks 

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
As @Arne.Bier stated I would also like to know the outcome. I believe you will only receive a warning. However, I think it does not matter if you disable them. The plus licenses will only be consumed when authorization policies reference any profiling data. For example, a condition based on an profiled endpoint group. If you disable the Win7/10 profiles then those hosts will just end up getting profiled as something else. For example, Microsoft-Workstation. HTH!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Are you saying to leave the expired license installed, but simply disable the Authorization Rules that apply to Plus licensing?

Interesting question.  What I can tell you is that if you were to remove the expired Plus License, then your ISE Admin menus will reflect that (you won't have access to stuff that relates to Plus Licenses).  So perhaps don't delete the license.  But you will probably get constant Alarms until the license is removed.

I would like to hear the outcome of this question because I have also wondered how to approach this.  Of course the obvious approach is to buy new license, but it is valid to take a "payment holiday" ;-) and press the Pause button on those polices.  Perhaps in future you can resume those Policies when you have budget.  But the interesting question is what the impact is of leaving the config in place and just disabling those policies so that they don't get hit and count towards a Plus License.

If you leave an expired Plus license installed, I wonder whether you will get a License Warning, or a License Violation.  I think it's a Warning. And you can probably live with that.

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
As @Arne.Bier stated I would also like to know the outcome. I believe you will only receive a warning. However, I think it does not matter if you disable them. The plus licenses will only be consumed when authorization policies reference any profiling data. For example, a condition based on an profiled endpoint group. If you disable the Win7/10 profiles then those hosts will just end up getting profiled as something else. For example, Microsoft-Workstation. HTH!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: