Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE policy to allow clients that do not belong to any AD Group

jphilp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I'm running and ISE (version 3). I want to create an authorization policy that only allow clients to connect that have a certificate but do not belong to an AD group. Is this possible? 

I already have a policy that allows clients to another SSID that have a certificate and belong to a specific AD group which works fine.

I am setting up a new SSID. Devices that will connect to this new SSID are not able to join an AD group.

So, the rules would be:

1. has a certificate

2. belongs to SSID ABC123

3. is not a member of any AD group

any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Hi @jphilp ,

an User is member of Domain Users Group, please try to add this Condition:

3. User is NOT member of the Domain Users Group. ("AD.ExternalGroups NOT EQUALS AD/Domain Users Group")

Hope this helps !!!

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is an approach I have used for customer MacOS and Linux endpoint authentication in the past. Ideally, the certificate used by the endpoint should have some unique value that can be matched on that differentiates it from other AD-joined endpoints (OU, Root/Issuer CA, etc).

You would need to configure the following:

1. Ensure the Root CA chain is trusted in ISE and the endpoint trusts the ISE EAP cert

2. Create a Certificate Authentication Profile (CAP) with the Identity Store value set to [not applicable]

3. Create an AuthC Policy that matches on your unique cert value and uses the new CAP

4. Create an AuthZ Policy that also matches on your unique cert value

Example AuthC Policy:

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 9.03.16 am.png

Example AuthZ Policy:

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 9.01.52 am.png

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello @jphilp 

I am curious how you managed to create an AD user object and not have that object be a member of ANY Groups? As far as I know, every AD user must have a Primary AD Group set.

They are not AD objects. These are radio devices that need to connect to WiFi to carry out software upgrades so they don't/can't belong to an AD group. I want this rule to stop any laptops connecting to this SSID i.e. if anything that tries to join is a member of any AD group then they will fail authorization.

Oh right. Sorry I missed the part about you not wanting to lookup the endpoint identity in any identity store. As Greg pointed out, the CAP without lookup will do that. 

Hi,

I don't think you can select 'not a member of any AD group'. Because in AD
users will be in a default group if you don't assign any group manually.
You should create a group (e.g. called in NODOMAIN) and assign these users
to it. Then match this group.

If your goal to provide non-domain users access to the network, then you
need to go with ISE Guest Access rather than not in AD group.

**** please remember to rate useful posts