cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Post Setup IP Address Change (is it possible?)

bruce.maurer
Level 1
Level 1

I've run across an odd problem.  I have a fresh test ISE (on VMware) installation up and running in my lab.  After a few days I realized I needed to alter the IP address of the test ISE.  I've been through the admin guides and forum posts, but there are no instructions on how to edit the ISE's IP address after the initial install has been completed.  

Anyone able to point me to a document that I may have missed?  Or... is this one of those times during the deployment of "version 1.0" of a product that I just need to rebuild from scratch until "version 2.0"?

Many thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DENNIS BAAS
Level 1
Level 1

You have to login to the console, using ssh. Then you'll have a CLI to change the IP address or assign IP addresses to other interfaces. The ISE user guide section has a document describing the commands. Note: after changing the IP address the ISE application is restarted automatically.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

DENNIS BAAS
Level 1
Level 1

You have to login to the console, using ssh. Then you'll have a CLI to change the IP address or assign IP addresses to other interfaces. The ISE user guide section has a document describing the commands. Note: after changing the IP address the ISE application is restarted automatically.

ISE 2.1

From the VMWARE console

application stop ise

int g 0

ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0

Y

This method doesnt seem to work with ISE 2.4.

I would recommend opening a new thread with an appropriate subject of your issue

Hi, for version 2.4 way is:

application stop ise

reset-config

Did you ever figure out the method on 2.4 to change the IP Address?

I have changed the IP on a standalone ISE 2.4 lab server a few times. Leave the application running when you do it.
int gigabitethernet 0
ip add x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

If the node is part of a deployment, deregister it first.

The process is covered in the 2.4 admin guide.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_0101.html#ID-1412-00000138

That link seems to be for a standalone server, not a node that is part of a cluster.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

Also, I can confirm that simply deregistering the node doesn't allow you to change the IP in a distributed environment.  The node must be in standalone mode.  Unfortunately, if you deregister it without putting it in standalone node first, it looks like you have to rebuild the node after resetting the config.  Once I have the actual process down, I'll try and repost it here since there seems to be little accurate documentation.  

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

thank you for providing extra insight on this topic. i do have a follow up question on your post... when re-IPing in a clustered environment, is there a preferred order the nodes must be re-IPed in? meaning should the Primary admin node be re-IPed first and then the secondary admin node followed by the PSN? OR is it that the order doesnt matter? 

did you have to issue the "reset config" command via cli?

did you need to issue a new cert to the node again? OR can you re-use the previous cert before you re-IPed? 

Resurrecting a 10-year old + thread that has an accepted solution limits the number of people that will take a look at it. The best thing to do is to start a new thread.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: