cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Profiler with Azure AD or Intune

davidgrothe
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem (ISE 3.0) where we are moving some of our PCs to be Azure AD joined only.    As such I am losing access to the AD Probe built into ISE for profiling.  Without this probe, the built in profile conditions classify my Windows 11 boxes as Windows XP and by policy ISE disables the port.    Is there a way to have a probe that would use the Azure AD or Intune to supply information to the profile engine?  Other work around ideas are welcome.   Thanks

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Using Profiler conditions like Windows version in your AuthZ Policies is problematic to begin with. These are easily spoofed and applications (like MS Skype for Business) have wreaked havoc in the past and resulted in erratic Profile changes.

A better approach would be to use active authentication like 802.1x EAP-TLS for your legitimate Corp Windows PCs and restrict access for everything else.
Moving to Azure AD Joined will reduce the options for authenticating the Windows endpoints. You can't authenticate a computer/user against AAD with EAP-TLS (even with the upcoming feature enhancement in ISE 3.2). The best you will be able to do is authenticate the Windows computer/user based purely on a valid and trusted certificate in ISE, then authorize based on other conditions like Intune MDM Registration/Compliance.

If this is the plan, I would highly suggest moving to ISE 3.1 ASAP to take advantage of the new MDM APIv3 with Intune. This will allow ISE to use the GUID for performing MDM checks against Intune as opposed to the 'legacy' MAC address based check. The latter obviously causes lots of issues with wired dongles/docks and random/changing wireless MAC addresses.
See Integrate MDM and UEM Servers with Cisco ISE for info on how to integrate Intune with ISE 3.1 using MDM APIv3 and the MS Graph API.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

You can't get the windows version in the intune response to ISE (definitely
Intune captures that but don't pass it to ISE).

Here is a docs which give example of intune gives (basically compliant
parameters but not client OS version).

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/how-to-integrate-cisco-ise-mdm-with-microsoft-intune/ta-p/4187375

**** please remember to rate useful posts

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Using Profiler conditions like Windows version in your AuthZ Policies is problematic to begin with. These are easily spoofed and applications (like MS Skype for Business) have wreaked havoc in the past and resulted in erratic Profile changes.

A better approach would be to use active authentication like 802.1x EAP-TLS for your legitimate Corp Windows PCs and restrict access for everything else.
Moving to Azure AD Joined will reduce the options for authenticating the Windows endpoints. You can't authenticate a computer/user against AAD with EAP-TLS (even with the upcoming feature enhancement in ISE 3.2). The best you will be able to do is authenticate the Windows computer/user based purely on a valid and trusted certificate in ISE, then authorize based on other conditions like Intune MDM Registration/Compliance.

If this is the plan, I would highly suggest moving to ISE 3.1 ASAP to take advantage of the new MDM APIv3 with Intune. This will allow ISE to use the GUID for performing MDM checks against Intune as opposed to the 'legacy' MAC address based check. The latter obviously causes lots of issues with wired dongles/docks and random/changing wireless MAC addresses.
See Integrate MDM and UEM Servers with Cisco ISE for info on how to integrate Intune with ISE 3.1 using MDM APIv3 and the MS Graph API.