cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

This community is for technical, feature, configuration and deployment questions.
For production deployment issues, please contact the TAC! We will not comment or assist with your TAC case in these forums.
Please see How to Ask the Community for Help for other best practices.

Views
Helpful
Replies
x00008037
Beginner

ISE registering a node

Hi ,

Wondering if anyone have had issue with doing the following:

I have two ISE Admin nodes one pri and one secondary which have been deployed with really low unsupported vm specs.

• My plan is to remove the secondary Admin role from the production secondary PAN.
  • Build a new shiny ISE Admin node with the correct vm spec (reservations,ram,shares,HD,CPU etc..)
  • Register the new VM as a secondary Admin node
    • Will there be DB sync issues as HD sizes do not match on both nodes?
  • Promote the Secondary to Primary and deregister the original primary PAN
  • Build another shiny ISE Admin node with the correct vm spec (reservations,ram,shares,HD,CPU etc..)
  • Register this node as Secondary Admin Node
  • Promote to Primary.

Anyone see any issues?

im thinking this is standard but I want to double check as Admin node holds all the goodness in an ISE deploy.

•  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @x00008037 

Every ISE Traditional License has the UDI baked into the .lic file - this includes Base, Plus, Apex, Device Admin and VM. You have to re-home everything.

With Smart Licensing you wouldn't have this headache. The only requirement would be to enable Smart Licensing with a valid token and off it goes. It's a great feature if you have the opportunity to use it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anurag Sharma
Cisco Employee

Hi @x00008037 ,

I really don't see any issues with different specs causing replication problems.

One catch - It's have to be same version (and same patch level) as the Primary.

Hope that helps!
Please 'RATE' and 'MARK ACCEPTED', if applicable.

In addition to what @Anurag Sharma  said, also consider that the UDI's of both nodes will change - unless you're using Cisco Smart Licencing, you'll have to re-home all your licenses with the new UDI information. Apart from the other stuff like re-joing AD etc. Usual upgrade scenario.

Yes good catch, So once i rebuild the Primary PAN il have to re-host the APEX and PLUS licensing ? And probably the VM licensing ..?

Actually i think it will just be the VM licensing ?

Any thought?

Hi @x00008037 

Every ISE Traditional License has the UDI baked into the .lic file - this includes Base, Plus, Apex, Device Admin and VM. You have to re-home everything.

With Smart Licensing you wouldn't have this headache. The only requirement would be to enable Smart Licensing with a valid token and off it goes. It's a great feature if you have the opportunity to use it.

View solution in original post

Cheers Anurag, Yes all on same patch and veriosn 

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad

ISE Webinars

Did you miss a previous ISE webinar?

CiscoISE YouTube Channel