Helpful
Replies

ISE registering a node

x00008037
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Wondering if anyone have had issue with doing the following:

I have two ISE Admin nodes one pri and one secondary which have been deployed with really low unsupported vm specs.

• My plan is to remove the secondary Admin role from the production secondary PAN.
  • Build a new shiny ISE Admin node with the correct vm spec (reservations,ram,shares,HD,CPU etc..)
  • Register the new VM as a secondary Admin node
    • Will there be DB sync issues as HD sizes do not match on both nodes?
  • Promote the Secondary to Primary and deregister the original primary PAN
  • Build another shiny ISE Admin node with the correct vm spec (reservations,ram,shares,HD,CPU etc..)
  • Register this node as Secondary Admin Node
  • Promote to Primary.

Anyone see any issues?

im thinking this is standard but I want to double check as Admin node holds all the goodness in an ISE deploy.

•  
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @x00008037 

Every ISE Traditional License has the UDI baked into the .lic file - this includes Base, Plus, Apex, Device Admin and VM. You have to re-home everything.

With Smart Licensing you wouldn't have this headache. The only requirement would be to enable Smart Licensing with a valid token and off it goes. It's a great feature if you have the opportunity to use it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Anurag Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @x00008037 ,

I really don't see any issues with different specs causing replication problems.

One catch - It's have to be same version (and same patch level) as the Primary.

Hope that helps!
Please 'RATE' and 'MARK ACCEPTED', if applicable.

In addition to what @Anurag Sharma  said, also consider that the UDI's of both nodes will change - unless you're using Cisco Smart Licencing, you'll have to re-home all your licenses with the new UDI information. Apart from the other stuff like re-joing AD etc. Usual upgrade scenario.

Yes good catch, So once i rebuild the Primary PAN il have to re-host the APEX and PLUS licensing ? And probably the VM licensing ..?

Actually i think it will just be the VM licensing ?

Any thought?

Hi @x00008037 

Every ISE Traditional License has the UDI baked into the .lic file - this includes Base, Plus, Apex, Device Admin and VM. You have to re-home everything.

With Smart Licensing you wouldn't have this headache. The only requirement would be to enable Smart Licensing with a valid token and off it goes. It's a great feature if you have the opportunity to use it.

Cheers Anurag, Yes all on same patch and veriosn