cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE upgrade to version 1.2

Tzy Chun Chong
Level 1
Level 1

My company ISE is installed into VM, we got a plan to upgrade the ISE form 1.1.1.268 to 1.2. But I read through all the documentation it required VM upgrade from 32 bits to64 bits.

But I have confused with the VM portion. If my current are 32 bits VM running for 1.1.1.268, am I still able to upgrade using the "application upgrade" command to direct do the upgrade "ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz". What about the VM portion? I should need to manually change the VM from 32 bit to 64 bit or it is done automatically like the message below? Sorry I'm not VM guy and not sure about this portion.

Generating Database statistics for optimization ....
- Preparing database for 64 bit migration...
% NOTICE: The appliance will reboot twice to upgrade software and ADE-OS to 64 bit. During this time progress of the upgrade is visible on console. It could take up to 30 minutes for this to complete.
Rebooting to do Identity Service Engine upgrade...

I should be worry about the license and certificate after the upgrade?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not a VM guy either but if you follow the info on the link you should be fine. The tasks that you have outlined are tasks that happen automatically when you run the upgrade procedure. After that process is done, you will have to change the VM settings. So if you have a single ISE node you will need to:

1. Run the upgrade process

2. Power off the VM

3. Adjust in VM Ware:

- Type of OS (Mandatory)

- RAM (Optional) - Check ISE's hardware installation guide

- CPU (Optional) - Check ISE's hardware installation guide

3. Power the VM back on and then test again

If you have a distributed deployment then you will have to follow the instructions for that

The document/link also answers your question about the certificates and license files:

The upgrade process retains licenses and certificates. You do not have to reinstall or reimport them. Cisco ISE, Release 1.2, supports license files with two-node unique device identifiers (UDIs). You can request for a new license with the UDI of both the primary and secondary Administration nodes. See the Cisco Identity Services Engine Hardware Installation Guide for details.

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you will be able to upgrade the existing machines but you do need to make some manual changes. The link below should answer all of your questions:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/1-2/upgrade_guide/b_ise_upgrade_guide/b_ise_upgrade_guide_chapter_01.html#reference_C446D967A4374DC3B613B8CB3F303007

Let me know if you still have any questions/issues. 

I got this too but is too high level... what need to do in action 3 - 6 ?? Is all on VM part? As told i'm not VM guy. Any low level procedure to follow.

background in each of the nodes: 
Downloads the upgrade bundle and extracts it. 

Performs a backup of the configuration database (for automatic rollback in case of recoverable failures). 

Upgrades the configuration database or downloads a dump of the upgraded configuration database (in the case of a standalone node). 

Upgrades the monitoring database. 

Upgrades the operating system and application binary files. 

Migrates the database from a 32-bit to a 64-bit system. 

After a successful upgrade, prompts the user to log in to Cisco ISE, Release 1.2. 

I am not a VM guy either but if you follow the info on the link you should be fine. The tasks that you have outlined are tasks that happen automatically when you run the upgrade procedure. After that process is done, you will have to change the VM settings. So if you have a single ISE node you will need to:

1. Run the upgrade process

2. Power off the VM

3. Adjust in VM Ware:

- Type of OS (Mandatory)

- RAM (Optional) - Check ISE's hardware installation guide

- CPU (Optional) - Check ISE's hardware installation guide

3. Power the VM back on and then test again

If you have a distributed deployment then you will have to follow the instructions for that

The document/link also answers your question about the certificates and license files:

The upgrade process retains licenses and certificates. You do not have to reinstall or reimport them. Cisco ISE, Release 1.2, supports license files with two-node unique device identifiers (UDIs). You can request for a new license with the UDI of both the primary and secondary Administration nodes. See the Cisco Identity Services Engine Hardware Installation Guide for details.

Gonna try that out, hopefully no hiccup else my head is ready to be in chopping block.

Couple of things to recommend so you don't lose your head :)

1. Test this in a lab environment - You can install 1.1.x in lab and do the upgrade procedure

2. Make sure you have a recent backup of both the Admin and the Monitoring DBs

3. Export your certificates and private keys

4. Make sure you have a copy of your license files

I hope it all goes well!!!