Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues in PEAP Authentication--Cisco ISE

Dear Community,

We are facing issues in the below setup.

PEAP

clients--} WLC ---Cisco ISE---AD

MSCHAPv2

We have used Private CA certificates to all our local machines and its getting authenticated using validate certificate options in windows property. In this scenario, if users trying there on BYOD devices also with domain account , its getting authenticated.

Kindly help us how to get rid of that ,and our requirement is to achieve windows/AD based authentication with certificate.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

2018-07-25 10_20_43-Identity Services Engine - Internet Explorer.png

I was thinking about the issue you have and you probably are not requiring a certificate in the authentication policy. Create a library condition which matches the certificate, and then add that to the policy. Then, a certificate will be required. 

Thanks,

Alex

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

ognyan.totev
Level 5
Level 5

If you use different certificate for BYOD they will never be authenticated .

But i assume you use same certificate for BYOD too .

In mine deployment i dont have BYOD but all machines in domain are authenticated by certificate .

Ognyan,

Thank you for your comments. But please note certificates are deployed in machines only and not through BYOD.

We are using MS PEAP (MS CHAP v2) with Validate Client certificate on the laptop. I want to restrict only the clients with cert installed to connect to the SSID. What should be my ISE Authentication and Authorization policies?

Seems to me you should configure your valid machines to use EAP-TLS certificate based authentication and not to use PEAP

Under your authentication rules only allow EAP-TLS or under authorization

We can use only PEAP with MSCHAP-v2, as the we are not authorized change the global SSID requirement.

Keeping this setting ,  how we can restrict the clients who don't have certificates.

Our setting is like this.

You can do this in ISE

Authorization rule
If SSIDNAME and EAP-TLS then permit access

Otherwise if SSIDNAME and PEAP then redirect them to HTML page or deny access

It’s still not clear exactly what you’re trying to accomplish if you can’t just restrict SSID but don’t allow anyone without a certificate to use it

There are some examples in the BYOD guide mentioned before of similar rule configurations and screenshots

Jason ,

Thank you for  your comments. Please note this

We are not allowed to change the authentication requirement as the SSID is for global users ,and it has to connect to their laptops provided the required certificate is installed. The hindrance is if any employee uses his domain credential to his personal device, it will connect even though client doesn't have certificate.

At this moment we cannot use EAP-TLS , but only on PEAP with certificates.

What shown in your doc is the client-side settings and the server certificate validation is up to the clients.

To limit what clients to authorized on, please see Slides 343 ~ 379 of Reference Presentation from Advanced ISE Services, Tips and Tricks - BRKSEC-3697
Event:2018 Orlando
Craig Hyps, Prinicipal Technical Marketing Engineer

Ognyan,
have you tried connecting BYOD/personal devices to network using domain accounts and ignoring the security prompt in your deployment?

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7
All you must do is remove username and password as a valid authentication. If you have some groups that you want to authenticate, use Active Directory groups and only allow those groups to get on the network. To remove username and password to Active Directory, you have a policy in place. You can simply go to that policy and change it to deny, or remove it.
Thanks,
Alex

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your comments, please clarify how to remove specifically for mobile accounts if we are using AD based authentication.

We dont want machines without certificates to connect to the network,currently there is only security prompting happening ( if users give domain account in their mobile), where as it should work normally if using laptops with certificates.

1. Go to Policy, Policy Sets.
2. Enter the policy that you are using for authentication, click on the > sign.
3. Look at the authentication policy.
4. If there is not a username and password authentication policy, you may have a default policy setup that you need to look at.

2018-07-25 10_20_43-Identity Services Engine - Internet Explorer.png

I was thinking about the issue you have and you probably are not requiring a certificate in the authentication policy. Create a library condition which matches the certificate, and then add that to the policy. Then, a certificate will be required. 

Thanks,

Alex

Maybe I missed something, but the way to prevent any Supplicant from succeeding in trying the EAP-TLS is method, is for ISE not to offer it in the TLS negotiation. 

If a supplicant requests EAP-TLS and ISE isn't able to offer it, then the conversation ends there.

This is done via the Allowed Protocols section in Authentication.  Create a new Allowed Protocols profile and then only allow EAP-PEAP.

PEAP only.PNG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: