Views
Helpful
Replies

lin con 0 authorization failed

Conucci
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I can't configure the line con 0 with the command login authentication CONSOLE. I get the following error:

sy-xxxx-ch-xxx-s-0xx(config-line)#login authentication CONSOLE
Command authorization failed.

The tacacs is up and running because I'm already connected to the device with ssh over tacacs+ and I have done several commends like on the console 0 too:
line con 0
authorization exec CONSOLE

What I'm doing wrong? Is it not possible to do this command on a running system? 
It's a new C9200CX

Thank you for your advice

Kind Regards

Marco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Conucci,

add aaa authorization exec CONSOLE if-authenticated

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Conucci
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, that was missing in my post

aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ local
aaa authentication login CONSOLE group tacacs+ local
aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable
aaa authorization console
aaa authorization config-commands
aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+ local
aaa authorization exec CONSOLE group tacacs+ local
aaa authorization commands 1 default group tacacs+ local
aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs+ local

Hello @Conucci,

add aaa authorization exec CONSOLE if-authenticated

Best regards

Conucci
Level 1
Level 1

Dear M02@rt37

Thank you, it's working. Strange is, that I didn't configure on C9200L and it's working. I have never seen before

You're very welcome @Conucci.

Best regards

I think it should've worked with the commands you already applied. The only thing that comes to my mind that could potentially have caused this issue is that on the TACACS server you don't have the right authorization rules so potentially it was hitting a default deny rule. I think with the command suggested by M02@rt37 it wouldn't check against the TACACS policies configured on the TACACS server, and it would only look if the session has passed the authentication.

Usually we add the "if-authenticated" keyword at the end of the aaa authorization command, something like this "aaa authorization exec CONSOLE group tacacs+ local if-authenticated". The "if-authenticated" keyword would allow the authorization to be allowed when the TACACS server is not available at the time the network device relays the authorization requests, and in that case, the network device would only verify if the session has been successfully authenticated. This is a security measure that would avoid being locked-out in case right after the authetnication the communication with the TACACS server goes down for any reason.