cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac-address table not populated when access-session closed configured

Tony M
Level 1
Level 1

We're having some trouble with ports configured with access-session closed. The switch does not see the MAC address of some devices connected to such ports. We can take one of two actions to clear this condition:

1. Remove the access-session closed command or

2. Configure access-session port-control force-authorized

Once we configure one of these two commands, the switch sees the MAC, authenticates the device, and we are then able to set the port configuration back.

We are very concerned about what will happen after a switch-stack or device reload, however, and are afraid that we may have to perform this operation on every port where an affected device is connected in order to make the network operational.

My reading so far indicates that this is not normal behaviour. Has anybody else experienced this and is there a work-around or permanent fix?

Platforms: Catalyst 3800 and 9300.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Both those commands effectively accomplish the same thing, they put the port in to open mode.

This is an issue I have seen with old PLC/IoT style devices that have poorly implemented their network stack. They try to reach out, can't get anywhere, then essentially blackhole themselves.

Any chance you could stay in open and leverage trustsec/restrictive dacls?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Both those commands effectively accomplish the same thing, they put the port in to open mode.

This is an issue I have seen with old PLC/IoT style devices that have poorly implemented their network stack. They try to reach out, can't get anywhere, then essentially blackhole themselves.

Any chance you could stay in open and leverage trustsec/restrictive dacls?

We'd prefer not to but, seeing as this is an issue with the client Ethernet implementation, this is likely the only way to make these clients stable.

Ultimately, the solution is to replace these devices with devices that work properly.

Damien, thanks for the response.