Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving ACS from one domain to another

nikhil_nemade
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I am a router/switch/load-balancing person who is new to Cisco ACS management and am now tasked with moving the ACS from one domain (ads.company.com) to another. (corp.company.com).

We are currently running ACS v5.2 and are importing external databases via AD (ads.company.com) and LDAP (corp.company.com). We use ACS for TACACS+ auth for network gear and 802.1x auth for wireless. All users have already been migrated over to the corp.company.domain

I have read through a few books and have familiarized myself with the interfaces, terminology etc.

Could someone please point out what items I need to keep in mind when doing such a migration ?

Appreciate the help.

- Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Nikhil,

The short story is that there's no such thing as a migration as far as ACS and your requirement is concerned... You will have to delete all references to the AD from your ACS config, leave your current domain, join the new domain, and then re-enter your AD-based config.

If you're lucky, what I've suggested will work, but older versions of ACS are notoriously bad when you changed domains and occasionally need to be re-built from scratch.

Richard

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Nikhil,

The short story is that there's no such thing as a migration as far as ACS and your requirement is concerned... You will have to delete all references to the AD from your ACS config, leave your current domain, join the new domain, and then re-enter your AD-based config.

If you're lucky, what I've suggested will work, but older versions of ACS are notoriously bad when you changed domains and occasionally need to be re-built from scratch.

Richard

Thanks for the quick reply, Richard.

When you clear configuration after deleting all the references from ACS. It will delete all the parameters/object from/ of the previous domain. When you join to a new domain just make sure you have add/delete a computer object on the new domain, DNS and NTP status etc.

As pointed by Richard, there are hell lots of issues with ACS-AD on older versions of ACS.

The most stable version you can upgrade to is 5.3 patch 4 or above.

Jatin Katyal
- Do rate helpful posts -

~Jatin

Thanks Jatin.

I double checked the version of the ACS and it is actually 5.3.0.40.6 so hopefully we'll be fine post-change.

Good that you're running the stable version. However, I'd also like to add that with ACS 5.4, you can join the ACS nodes from same deployment to different  AD domains. However, each node can be joined to a single AD domain.

New and added feature.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.4/release/notes/acs_54_rn.html#wp71092

acs troubleshoot adcheck and ad troubleshoot adinfo

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.4/command/reference/cli_app_a.html#wp2047632

Jatin Katyal
- Do rate helpful posts -

~Jatin