Views
Helpful
Replies

PAN Auto Fail Working mechanism

junk1
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am installing ISE 1.4 (with Patch 6) in my customer network. We have 2 PAN and 2 MnT with 10-12 PSNs. While configuring PAN Auto Failover, I set the Primary MnT as Primary health check node and Secondary MnT as Secondary health check node.

When I stopped the ISE services in Primary PAN node, the Auto Failover didn't happen and I got the message that PAN Secondary rejected to take over auto failover as Primary PAN is still available.

When I reloaded Primary PAN node, then the Auto PAN Failover worked fine.

I wanted to understand the working principle of the Auto PAN failover.Will it not trigger Auto failover when services are down but only if I reload the node? Is it based on IP reachability?

Also, wanted to know if I reload/stop ISE services in Primary MnT, will the Secondary MnT take over the Primary role.

Thanks and Regards

V Vinodh.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kthiruve
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vinod,

Please see the following documentation for PAN autofailover and Health check functionality

Cisco Identity Services Engine Administrator Guide, Release 1.4 - Set Up Cisco ISE in a Distributed Environment [Cisco …

Thanks

Krishnan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kthiruve
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vinod,

Please see the following documentation for PAN autofailover and Health check functionality

Cisco Identity Services Engine Administrator Guide, Release 1.4 - Set Up Cisco ISE in a Distributed Environment [Cisco …

Thanks

Krishnan

Hi Krishnan,

I got a request from Customer to enable PAN Automatic Failover in their network but the customer is using Medium type deployment Primary (PAN+MNT=1 Node) & Secondary (PAN+MNT=1 Node) & 3 x PSN separate Node.

Does Automatic failover work in this Medium type deployment ??

Thanks

Shivaprasad Gudsi