Views
Helpful
Replies

POC setup to Production

munish.dhiman1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Just wondering if we can install ISE license on Eval servers and convert it into production?

Scenario steps: 

1. 6 node distributed ISE architecture in LAB environment for PoC perpose.
  2. Evaluation of Large VM ova. the template used to build servers.
  3. PoC completed successfully.
  4. Now we need to move the same setup into production by installing licenses for 10000 endpoints only.

Since PoC setup is built on Large VM (100,000 Endpoint), can we install a medium or Small (up to 50,000 Endpoint)VM license on it?

Regards,

MD

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
VM licenses aren't enforced, so while you can install any size VM license on any ISE deployment, you will have a VM license warning unless you have enough licenses to cover your nodes.

A large VM license will be in compliance with small, medium or large nodes.
A medium license will be in compliance for small or medium nodes.
A small license will only be in compliance if you have small nodes.

If it were me, I would leverage smart licensing. Add all the licenses to the same smart virtual account, then you can share endpoint licenses during migration. You will get an alarm for not having enough VM licenses to cover two deployments, but for a migration this won't cause any issue.

It is possible to use traditional licencing for this too if desired. The original person that fulfills the PAK keys will be able to rehost the issued licenses themselves to migrate to the production deployment when it comes time. This is all done online via the Cisco licensing portal.

Last and the least preferred option, TAC can help migrate licenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
VM licenses aren't enforced, so while you can install any size VM license on any ISE deployment, you will have a VM license warning unless you have enough licenses to cover your nodes.

A large VM license will be in compliance with small, medium or large nodes.
A medium license will be in compliance for small or medium nodes.
A small license will only be in compliance if you have small nodes.

If it were me, I would leverage smart licensing. Add all the licenses to the same smart virtual account, then you can share endpoint licenses during migration. You will get an alarm for not having enough VM licenses to cover two deployments, but for a migration this won't cause any issue.

It is possible to use traditional licencing for this too if desired. The original person that fulfills the PAK keys will be able to rehost the issued licenses themselves to migrate to the production deployment when it comes time. This is all done online via the Cisco licensing portal.

Last and the least preferred option, TAC can help migrate licenses.