Views
Helpful
Replies

Public WiFi Aggregator using Cisco ISE with Meraki MR APs

samsackl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team,

A customer is looking to build a Public WiFi infrastructure to aggregate services across multiple MNOs and also other customers (such retailers, etc) on a SINGLE UNIVERSAL SSID. This new solution will offer the following services:

• 3G Offload on behalf of multiple MNOs
  • Retail Customers
  • Public WiFi

The most challenging piece of this design is the requirement to broadcast ONE SINGLE SSID for All services except 3G offload EAP-SIM clients.

In other words:

• Each MNO will have a unique "hidden" HS2.0 enabled SSID for 3G offload EAP-SIM clients.
  • Then, there will be ONE universal SSID for all other services with a front facing captive portal. (this will serve 3G offload NON EAP-SIM, Retail Customers, Public WiFi)

The hidden HS2.0 enabled SSID is quite easy as it will be using EoGRE to the MNO's iWAG and that's a standard configuration done on a per SSID bases. Now the challenging part is the other UNIVERSAL SSID.

On that UNIVERSAL SSID, My customer wants to display a landing page with options for multiple MNOs [Please click if you are a Vodafone customer, T-Systems customer, AT&T Customer, Verizon customer, etc].... OR [Please click if you are Starbucks customer, Fridays customer, etc]..... OR [Please click if you would like a WiFi pass for 1hour, 2hour, etc].

Essentially, this UNIVERSAL SSID must be serving all the following:

• MNO NON EAP-SIM clients (T-systems, AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, ....etc)
  • Retail Customers (Starbucks, Fridays, .....etc)
  • Public WiFi walk-in customers via voucher purchase

MNO traffic needs to be authenticated against the MNO Radius/AAA and also breaks-out through the MNO network for LI (Lawful Inspection) and accounting purposes. I proposed Cisco ISE integration with Meraki for the following features:

1. CWA
  2. CoA
  3. Radius Proxy
  4. Radius Accounting

Users should be authenticating as follows:

1. 3G Offload NON EAP-SIM clients -> Mobile number (ISE should identify which Radius to relay based on user mobile number)
  2. Retail Customers -> Email (ISE should identify which Radius to relay based on user identity)
  3. Walk-in Customers -> Email & Voucher (Single Radius for all users)

Now my question is, how can a single UNIVERSAL SSID do the following:

• Authenticate against multiple Radius Servers (ISE will proxy Radius requests/responses to separate servers based on user number/identity)
  • AP route traffic to multiple gateways based on a domain name (via a return attribute assigning the VLAN directly on the AP based on user number/identity and ISE logic)
  • Bill users on their respective billing platforms (ISE will also proxy accounting messages from AP to separate accounting servers based on user user/identity)

Thanks for your help,
Sameh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sameh this is not something easily done with ISE and it would be best to look into Cisco Service Provider EMSP perhaps? If you could do something with ISE seems like heavy customization.

This is really an internal design discussion with advanced services or a partner who might be possible to do such an advanced integration.

Regardless again at this point its not something easily answered, designed or vetted in a forum like this. The best bet would be to engage Cisco AS if its something you still want to pursue with ISE.

My initials thoughts are I don’t think ISE is the product you want to place in there

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sameh this is not something easily done with ISE and it would be best to look into Cisco Service Provider EMSP perhaps? If you could do something with ISE seems like heavy customization.

This is really an internal design discussion with advanced services or a partner who might be possible to do such an advanced integration.

Regardless again at this point its not something easily answered, designed or vetted in a forum like this. The best bet would be to engage Cisco AS if its something you still want to pursue with ISE.

My initials thoughts are I don’t think ISE is the product you want to place in there