Views
Helpful
Replies

Radius Called-Station-ID and Mobility Anchor

craiglebutt
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Running ISE 2.,2, we have several mobility anchors with external companies, so we can work in their buildings and they can work in ours.

One of them seems to have on their WLC Radius Auth Called Station ID type as IP Address.

So this is causing issues.

It looks like I need to add their WLC in via IP for Called-Station -ID

What I'm not sure is this, my current Auth Policy is

DEVICE:Device Type EQUALS Device Type#All Device Typles#WLAN AND

Radius:Called-Station-ID ENDS WITH "myssid"

But if I add belowe

Radius:Called-Station-ID CONTAINS wlc_ip

so looks like

DEVICE:Device Type EQUALS Device Type#All Device Typles#WLAN AND

Redius:Called-Station-ID ENDS WITH "myssid" and

Radios:Called-Station-ID CONTAINS wlc_ip

Won't this stop all my current users and only allow any one trying to connect to "myssid" and from a certain wlc-IP?

Is there another format it should be in to allow all my existing and if comes from wlc-ip

many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

First I would re-investigate the inconsistency in your Called Station ID setting. Often the network wireless team may set values with no understanding of impact on RADIUS.  Allowing change there may resolve issue.

Secondly, I think you are looking to add a boolean logic to support "IF wlan AND (myssid OR wlcip)".  If that is the case, this is possible but not intuitive in releases prior to 2.3.  Create each of the authorization conditions above as a separate, simple authorization condition.

Then create a compound condition using the simple conditions.  You will see a grid in right corner which allows boolean logic to be applied...

Change boolean to match requirements and then add this compound condition to AuthZ Policy Rule.

Craig

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

First I would re-investigate the inconsistency in your Called Station ID setting. Often the network wireless team may set values with no understanding of impact on RADIUS.  Allowing change there may resolve issue.

Secondly, I think you are looking to add a boolean logic to support "IF wlan AND (myssid OR wlcip)".  If that is the case, this is possible but not intuitive in releases prior to 2.3.  Create each of the authorization conditions above as a separate, simple authorization condition.

Then create a compound condition using the simple conditions.  You will see a grid in right corner which allows boolean logic to be applied...

Change boolean to match requirements and then add this compound condition to AuthZ Policy Rule.

Craig

Ping Zhou
Level 8
Level 8

Logically, OR is your operator.

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I like the idea of the compound conditions.  But how about a simple regex, using the MATCHES operator?

Not sure what you mean by wlc_ip ?  Literally "wlc_ip" or an IP address?

Let's say you need to match on any of the following strings below "ssid1" or "ssid2" or "10.1.1.1" or "10.2.2.2" then this will be a legal regex syntax that ISE 2.2 is able to digest

DEVICE:Device Type EQUALS Device Type#All Device Types#WLAN AND

Radius:Called-Station-ID MATCHES  (ssid1|ssid2|10\.1\.1\.1|10\.2\.2\.2)

The "." has to be escaped with a \ character because it has special significance in regular expressions.  But apart from that I think it may be a viable solution.

craiglebutt
Level 4
Level 4

+Thanks for reply's, I have to submit Change Request, and have no test bed to carry out on, so got the risk of disabling 4000+ devices. Best to create a copy and add the Radius:Called-Station-ID MATCHES  (ssid1|ssid2|10\.1\.1\.1|10\.2\.2\.2) format.

The reason why posted is devices in the SE Onboarding connect, Mobil iron work, but non from the Corp AD Wireless Group on this one location., only difference is the Aut Radius on their WLC is set to IP AddressCapture.JPG

In general, you should  not config the WLC to send wlc ip as this may cause Calling Station ID to also be set for Client IP in open auth.  This can cause issues with client matching rules based on Calling ID.

You can also set a rule to Monitor only to then see matching rules in actual live log details.

One way to mitigate the risk is to build a lab VM and restore your prod config onto it. Should not take more than 2 hours to get that. Then spin up a Linux VM and install Free radius Utils and send packets to your lab. You can simulate your environment without any hardware. If you need 802.1x emulation then install eapol_test which is part of the wpa_supplicant package. I wrote a small blog series on this forum. I use this all the time to prototype my policies and it's really quick and efficient.

Rapid prototyping ISE Policies without any real networking hardware