cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running ACS 2.6 on a Windows 2000 member server

ROBERTO TACCON
Level 4
Level 4

I've installed on a member server (Win 2K Serv. SP2) Cisco Secure ACS 2.6.

The ACS service was installed using the domain administrator account.

All the ACS's services are configured in the Log on as: Local Systems account (not the domain administrator account).

To authenticate users the ACS uses: first the local db, then the Windows NT 4.0 (domain controller) user database.

Now the domain administrator password is changed.

I've restarted the ACS server and logged on with the built-in local Administrator account (on the ACS server there isn't any "net use" with domain administrator user and password vs. the domain controller; if i try to connect to any domain controller the "Connect as" window appear):

the authentication of my domain users works fine.

Why the authentications works with the domain users?

As you can read in the Cisco ACS 3.0 installation guide on p.31:

"If you have installed Cisco Secure ACS on a member server, the server must pass Windows authentication requests to a domain controller. For these requests to succeed, the member server must run them using the domain controller’s administrative account. This is true of Windows 2000 authentication from a member server and can be the case with Windows NT 4.0 also."

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online Technical Assistance Center (http://www.cisco.com/tac) or speak with a TAC engineer. You can open a TAC case online at http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

It's my understanding that ACS only is checked out to work on w2k Svc PK 1 and not 2. Ver 3 is ok to go on Svc PK 2. Could be part of the problem but this is not my area.

I'm running CiscoSecure ACS v2.6.3 on win2k server service pack 2

it's working great...

the only thing i can't figure out... is why dialup users to my NAS are getting assigned the Same IP Address as other users...

it was working great for a week then suddenly started doing this, so i moved the ip pools back to the NAS to assign.

i'm going to revert back to a service pack 1 setup this month to test.