cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared WLC, SSID with Low Impact Mode

kaachary
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We are working on a deployment, where Customer has a shared WLC (shared among multiple sites), with a common SSID. One of the locations/sites require the ISE deployment to be in Low Impact/Monitor mode. The rest of the locations are still using a different ISE cluster for wireless authentication, all in closed mode. So the only distinguishing factor is the APs for that location. Using AP groups in AuthZ policy is one option (as long as the WLC version supports it), however how do we make sure the WLC only enforces Open auth on those AP or clients?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Wireless authentication doesn’t have low impact close mode or monitor mode. This is a wired switching concept. On wireless you either getting open network where you give them direct Internet access or redirect to web authentication portal. Otherwise that uses connect to a secure wireless LAN using WPA2 enterprise aka 802.1x

What exactly are they trying to accomplish

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Wireless authentication doesn’t have low impact close mode or monitor mode. This is a wired switching concept. On wireless you either getting open network where you give them direct Internet access or redirect to web authentication portal. Otherwise that uses connect to a secure wireless LAN using WPA2 enterprise aka 802.1x

What exactly are they trying to accomplish

Hi Jason, Can open Auth be done for the same SSID, on a shared WLC, for a specific location (i.e. set of APs) or this is more of a question for the wireless experts?

You cannot have both on the same SSID if on the same WLC AFAIK but this isn’t the wireless forum

Please ignore, I think I know what you meant. When it's open, ISE is not involved unlike monitor mode. The customer wants to deploy 802.1x for wireless users without any production impact, and want to log the failures (hence the monitor) just like wired.

The idea is to find out which machine does not have correct 802.1x settings ( native supplicant) and Posture problems ( ISE posture will be there).

As Jason said there is no concept of monitor mode with wireless.  The users will have to pass authentication for an 802.1x SSID.  I am guessing you are changing the EAP Authentication cert when going from ACS to ISE so depending on how the clients are setup they may either get a cert warning or simply fail to connect. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: