cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shut down ISE server from GUI

alclark10
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to shut down the ISE application from the GUI? I don't have access to the CLI since I changed the password; it isn't accepting the new password. The password recovery involves powering off the VM; I don't want to do that without stopping the application.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not shutdown from the ISE admin web UI. You may try issuing Ctrl-Alt-Delete from the console window.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not shutdown from the ISE admin web UI. You may try issuing Ctrl-Alt-Delete from the console window.

From VMWare you can shut down the Guest OS that is probably the best option.  I wouldn't worry too much about shutting it down without stopping the application.  I have done it many times without issue.  Boot off the ISO and do password recovery.

If you got bit by the annoying lock admin account after 45 days issue (Cisco please change this as it is standard practice to shut this off in all of our installs), make sure you turn that setting off in the GUI.

Yes, that seems to be what happened. I had noticed that field but thought it was there to "help" me abide by best practices. Instead, it just seems to make a lot more work.

Nah what happens is just what you saw. You setup the ISE deployment and never have to log into the CLI again except of you have a problem. Then you find out the admin account has been disabled and you are stuck. You are usually bit by that once then you remember to turn that checkbox off as part of your initial ISE build.

Paul Haferman

Office- 920.996.3011

Cell- 920.284.9250

clemish
Level 1
Level 1

In order to gracefully shut down an ISE appliance or VM server, follow this procedure:

application stop ise

sh application status ise      //verify the ISE application services are stopped

Ctrl+C (after stopping services, issue Ctrl+C to get back to the ISE prompt)

halt

yes

y

ISE_shutdown2.png

ISE_shutdown.png

After using the stop and halt commands what is the expected behavior ?

Will the ISE appliance reboot? or just the service ?

How do you start the service back up?

Does the Appliance power down? Do you need to manually power on the appliance afterwards?

Thanks

Halt will shutdown and power off so use it with caution. It will need to be powered on after.

Reload will stop the services and restart the entire server. Also use it with caution in the event you have a ISO mounted to a VM, you can get stuck at the boot prompt, I suggest having console access unless this is something done previously. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: