cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Traps for app-server monitoring.

prathapss
Level 1
Level 1

We have ISE 2.7 in which we configured the SNMPv3.

Community string is not configured for this.

In order to get the trap MIB::hrSWRunName is it required to configure the community string, even in SNMPv3?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That configuration example is misleading, as the community string is only used for SNMPv2c. I can assure you that I have configured SNMPv3 for a customer without the configuring a community string; only the snmp-server user and host v3 commands are required.

I can only assume that example is changing the community string from the default 'public' string, but that wouldn't really provide much added security if there is no v2c host configured to permit a query/trap.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SNMPv3 does not use community strings. If you're using SNMPv3, you need to configure the username, auth/priv passwords, and remote engineID as per the CLI Guide.

Thanks for the response.

But as per the below document, community string appears to be configured with SNMPv3

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/215521-configure-and-understand-snmp-traps-to-m.html#anc4

Will there be any drawbacks if we configure the community string also?

That configuration example is misleading, as the community string is only used for SNMPv2c. I can assure you that I have configured SNMPv3 for a customer without the configuring a community string; only the snmp-server user and host v3 commands are required.

I can only assume that example is changing the community string from the default 'public' string, but that wouldn't really provide much added security if there is no v2c host configured to permit a query/trap.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: