Views
Helpful
Replies

SNS-3415

Jelani_DTE_PRO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am tinkering around with a two year old SNS-3415 appliance at my workplace; as we prepare to replace it with its predecessor - The SNS-3515. However, when I logged into it, I could only execute BASH commands; no ios commands.

I's it possible that my employer could have purchased a Linux license and our SNS-3415, is only able to execute Linux commands? Not sure how this part works. So, just need a little clarification.

Thanks,

Jelani

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The SNS-3415 was available with either an ISE or ACS image. Although it is based on a Cisco UCS C200 series server, it was not sold as a "bare metal" or OS-only version. Both ISE and ACS do have included a customized RHEL image on which they run but it is not normally visible except during the boot process.

Perhaps somebody was poking around in the file system and improperly modified one of the startup (rc) files that normally boot the ADE-OS environment in which ISE (or ACS) runs.

View solution in original post

Yes - the 3515 and 3595 are also available only in ISE or ACS variants. (ACS will be end of sales in August 2017.) Those are based on the UCS C220.

These are a bit different in that the ISE version of the appliance uses the UEFI firmware secure boot option and thus cannot boot anything but ISE by design.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-0-1/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide201/b_ise_InstallationGuide201_chapter_01.html#topic_734DDBE10750405FAEED83A9AD90E949

You're correct about ISE and ACS on the SNS appliances.

Regarding your new book, there's still a lot of benefit in knowing your way around a Linux/Unix shell. Many other products stil use them under the covers and, even if it is not pure Linux, knowing how to navigate a file system, perform simple operations, understand processes, privileges, simple scripts etc. are all skills that will service you well in a networking career.

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The SNS-3415 was available with either an ISE or ACS image. Although it is based on a Cisco UCS C200 series server, it was not sold as a "bare metal" or OS-only version. Both ISE and ACS do have included a customized RHEL image on which they run but it is not normally visible except during the boot process.

Perhaps somebody was poking around in the file system and improperly modified one of the startup (rc) files that normally boot the ADE-OS environment in which ISE (or ACS) runs.

Hi, Marvin.

Thanks, for the reply. Interesting stuff...very interesting, indeed! Does the same hold true, for the SNS-3515 appliance...which is the replacement for the soon to be eol 3415?

Yes - the 3515 and 3595 are also available only in ISE or ACS variants. (ACS will be end of sales in August 2017.) Those are based on the UCS C220.

These are a bit different in that the ISE version of the appliance uses the UEFI firmware secure boot option and thus cannot boot anything but ISE by design.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-0-1/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide201/b_ise_InstallationGuide201_chapter_01.html#topic_734DDBE10750405FAEED83A9AD90E949

Wow! Good stuff, Marvin! Just yesterday, I purchased a book on Bash! LOL!!! 

Okay. Let me make sure I understand, correctly...based on some reading I've done, thus far. The Cisco Secure Access Control System (ACS), which is pending eol in August and being replaced by the Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE), are the components used to configure the SNS appliance. And, unlike the ACS, the ISE will prevent installation of any unsigned operating systems even with physical access to the SNS appliance, such as RHEL...correct? So, should I just plan on tossing my newly purchased Bash Guide into the recycle bin, once it arrives tomorrow? LOL!!!

You're correct about ISE and ACS on the SNS appliances.

Regarding your new book, there's still a lot of benefit in knowing your way around a Linux/Unix shell. Many other products stil use them under the covers and, even if it is not pure Linux, knowing how to navigate a file system, perform simple operations, understand processes, privileges, simple scripts etc. are all skills that will service you well in a networking career.

Marvin,

Awesome feedback, again! And, I will definitely keep my new book.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: