Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch AAA and Enable password Issue

I have a switch with a basic config on it, and created a few privilege 15 local users.  I was copying the config from another switch, and unfortunately did NOT know the enable secret but still added it to the config (dumb I know).  Logging into the switch after it was in production was working fine, until I tried to configure AAA.  Like the enable password I referenced another similar switch for the AAA configuration, and I've done this numerous times in the past and it usually works.  

However, this time AAA wouldn't work for some reason but all was well because the local user account did.  Then I made some other changes trying to troubleshoot AAA and now when I login, it prompts me for that enable password for some reason?  The local user works to get me in but for non-privilege mode.   Can anyone shed light on why this might be happening?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It would be hard to provide information on why your config did not work as expected without seeing the actual config :)

So, it sounds like you will need to perform a password recovery. You can follow the instructions in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It would be hard to provide information on why your config did not work as expected without seeing the actual config :)

So, it sounds like you will need to perform a password recovery. You can follow the instructions in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Fortunately, I found the enable password and figured out the mistake.  Some how I deleted all the aaa config except the "aaa new-model" command.

Ah, well that is even better! 

Now, since your problem is resolved, you should mark the thread as "answered" :)