cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to upgrade from ACS 5.2 to ACS 5.5 - Application will not initialize.

rodmunch999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Has anyone had problems upgrading an ACS 5.2 to ACS 5.5?

I am starting with a base machine running 5.2 Patch 5 which has a working/production  configuration. The documentation states that to upgrade from 5.2 you have to upgrade to either 5.3 or 5.4 first and then run the 5.5 upgrade. I have tried using both 5.3 and 5.4 as the interim version but I get the same problem. I have confirmed that the 5.3 or 5.4 version is working fine before I start the 5.5 upgrade but although the 5.5 upgrade says it has been succesfull  the ACS services will not start. I get the message: (and it stays like this)

acs/admin# sh app sta acs

Application initializing...
Status is not yet available.

Please check again in a minute.

I have upgraded an ACS 5.4 running a default configuration to 5.5 successfully so i know my 5.5 upgrade file is not corrupt.

Other things i have tried:

• Run MD5 checks on the other patch and upgrade files.
  • Upgrade to the latest patch level of that version before proceeding with the upgrade
  • Perform a database compress before the upgrade of each minor version.
  • Reload the server at the start and before the upgrade of each minor version.
  • Wiping the system with 5.5 recovery disk and restoring the 5.2 configuration (get same error)
  • Applying the Pointed-PreUpgrade patch before the upgrade to 5.5

Here are the steps of the upgrade: 

• Start with base ACS 5.2 Patch 5 (Running a production configuration)
  • Reload ACS
  • Perform database-compress
  • Apply 5.2 patch 11
  • Reload ACS
  • Apply application upgrade 5.4
  • Apply 5.4 patch 6
  • Perform database-compress
  • Confirm ACS application is working
  • Apply Pointed-PreUpgrade patch for 5.4
  • Reload ACS
  • Apply application upgrade 5.5

Once I get the error to occur then I can reset the 5.5 config to its default setting but then I lose all the production system information.

Has anyone had any similar issues? 

15 Replies 15

Thanks a lot Dave. It means I have to take the Risk by my own right? :(

I will use acsview-db-compress as you mentioned to compress the database. If you got any update please let me know.

If anyone done the upgrade without any issue, would you please let me know since I need to be more careful with my employer.

Thank you

Kind regards

Chamara