cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgraded 5.4 ACS VM has space issue warnings

ghuey
Level 1
Level 1

Upgraded to 5.4 last night and ran into several warnings concerning storage space.  Here is specific message:

warning:[acsDiskSizeCheckUtil.sh] Patch of size 1079 M exceeds the allowed quota of 1000 M. This will not prohibit patch installation process as long as there is enough disk space. Please note that this indicates you should consider moving ACS to a higher disk space machine

I also note that the 5.5 upgrade mentions about making sure you have 500GB or greater available for the upgrade.

The vm was thin provisioned with 512 GB disk and is showing only 84 GB actually being utilized, so some questions.

1. Is the underlying OS used by ACS smart enough for me to simply expand the capacity of the underlying virtual disk and have it recognize this new larger capacity?
  2. Are there any CLI commands in ACS that will let me view/manage the underlying disk capacity?
  3. The documentation says to increase the capacity be either "re-imaging" the vm or installing a totally new instance and restoring the backup from the original.  What exactly does Cisco mean by "re-imaging" ?  Are they referring to storage vMotion where I can change the disk during a migration?

Thanks for everyone's time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My comments:

Is the underlying OS used by ACS smart enough for me to simply expand the capacity of the underlying virtual disk and have it recognize this new larger capacity

- Unfortunately the answer is "No" I have tried to expand the capacity of a drive in both ISE and ACS with root privileges and both times were a complete failure. Now perhaps that was due to my poor Linux skills but....Anyways, the answer is really "No" If you want more disk space you would have to re-create the VM of ACS and then restore/re-built your config

Are there any CLI commands in ACS that will let me view/manage the underlying disk capacity?

- Have you tried show disks 

The documentation says to increase the capacity be either "re-imaging" the vm or installing a totally new instance and restoring the backup from the original.  What exactly does Cisco mean by "re-imaging" ?  Are they referring to storage vMotion where I can change the disk during a migration?

- Related to question #1. You basically blow away the current VM and build a new one. Then you restore your configs.

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My comments:

Is the underlying OS used by ACS smart enough for me to simply expand the capacity of the underlying virtual disk and have it recognize this new larger capacity

- Unfortunately the answer is "No" I have tried to expand the capacity of a drive in both ISE and ACS with root privileges and both times were a complete failure. Now perhaps that was due to my poor Linux skills but....Anyways, the answer is really "No" If you want more disk space you would have to re-create the VM of ACS and then restore/re-built your config

Are there any CLI commands in ACS that will let me view/manage the underlying disk capacity?

- Have you tried show disks 

The documentation says to increase the capacity be either "re-imaging" the vm or installing a totally new instance and restoring the backup from the original.  What exactly does Cisco mean by "re-imaging" ?  Are they referring to storage vMotion where I can change the disk during a migration?

- Related to question #1. You basically blow away the current VM and build a new one. Then you restore your configs.

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: