Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from Medium to Large Deployment

jugdip.virdi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there a documented process for upgrading a deployment from medium to large for version 2.1?

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We have videos talking about Upgrades from 1.4 and 2.0 under Upgrades :

ISE 2.0 to 2.2 GUI Upgrade - YouTube

ISE 1.4 to 2.0 Upgrade - YouTube

Going from a Medium to a Large deployment is a Scaling exercise and not a software Upgrade.

Please refer to ISE 2.2 - Network Deployments in Cisco ISE which talks about the different deployment sizes.

I think what you are asking his how to migrate from PAN+MNT nodes to separate PAN & MNT nodes.

You will want to remove/uncheck the PAN or MNT role from the secondary PAN+MNT then add a new ISE node as a that role and allow it to synchronize.

You will need to do the same for the other roles that you want to split out.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We have videos talking about Upgrades from 1.4 and 2.0 under Upgrades :

ISE 2.0 to 2.2 GUI Upgrade - YouTube

ISE 1.4 to 2.0 Upgrade - YouTube

Going from a Medium to a Large deployment is a Scaling exercise and not a software Upgrade.

Please refer to ISE 2.2 - Network Deployments in Cisco ISE which talks about the different deployment sizes.

I think what you are asking his how to migrate from PAN+MNT nodes to separate PAN & MNT nodes.

You will want to remove/uncheck the PAN or MNT role from the secondary PAN+MNT then add a new ISE node as a that role and allow it to synchronize.

You will need to do the same for the other roles that you want to split out.

Hi Thomas,

It is splitting the roles out so PAN+MNT.  Is this not a documented process as I want to introduce new hardware to ultimately take over the Primary roles the older hardware is doing for the existing PAN or MNT and make the new 3595 primary.  Will the licenses transfer successfully as part of the synchronisation or do I need to raise a licensing request?

If it is not documented because it is simple then fine, I thought I would check first.

Thanks for your help.

Juggy

Then you will want to make your new nodes MnTs since the licensing needs to stay with your PANs.

Disable the secondary MnT.

Add the new MnT node as secondary, let it synchronize.

Make the new MnT node the Primary MnT.

Disable the old MnT node.

Add the new MnT node and let it synchronize.

Celebrate.

bcotaz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@thomas I'd like to check if we have a document on migration from a Medium Deployment to a Large Deployment available already.

Thank you

There is probably a better place to look for this information as Cisco employee than commenting on a public forum post from 5 years ago.  That being said, here's what I would do:

• Deploy two new Monitor nodes
  • Disable Monitoring persona on one of the current PAN+MNT nodes
  • Add new Monitoring node to deployment with MNT persona only
  • Repeat for additional PAN+MNT/new MNT node.
  • Deploy new PSNs as needed

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I illustrated the process in a recent ISE Webinar:

ISE Deployment Architectures: Nodes, Services and Scale

16:44 ISE Deployment: Standalone ISE Node
17:59 ISE Deployment: Small
19:01 ISE Deployment: Small 3 Node
20:33 ISE Deployment: Medium and Multiple Regions
22:43 ISE Deployment: Medium to Large
23:40 ISE Deployment: Large

bcotaz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

thank you @ahollifield and @thomas 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: