cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading SNS-3515 with RAID 1 and Rebuilding ISE?

Nico Bellack
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we've a SNS-3515 Appliance with ISE installed. But SNS-3515 has only one Hard Disk and only one Power Supply.

It is incomprehensible to me why Cisco builds such a system. For me it is unprofessional.

The SNS-3515 is nothing special. A Standard UCS C220 M4 Server with a MegaRAID Controller included.

I think the scenario would be easy:
- install the ISE
- back up the ISE
- install two new disks and build a RAID 1
- install the ISE
- restore the backup.
- Rehost the license

Has anybody ever tried this? I know that Cisco doesn't support RAID 1 on SNS-3515. But why?

Greeetz

Nico

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco sells the SNS-3595 for customers desiring a more robust server - higher capacity CPU, more memory, RAID10 and dual power supplies.

You might be able to accomplish what you're asking but I would open a TAC case first - you may run into some low level issue that would leave you without a functioning system. I know ISE can be very particular about the underlying hardware. Keep in mind that you do not have shell access to the underlying Linux in ISE except via TAC.

Not applicable

I know with ACS on the 3415's we can add the second PSU with no issue as they just do not include it in the base bundle. I am curious about the extra disk as well for RAID 1. In theory it should work since the controller is the same between them but just configured differently.

Not applicable

Found this

https://cisco-marketing.hosted.jivesoftware.com/message/232553

Looks like it would be unsupported.

Nico Bellack
Level 1
Level 1

I talked to our SE.

Cisco supports a second PSU, but not a second Hard Drive.

Seriously?

SNS-3515 --> $ 16.000 GPL

SNS-3595 --> $ 30.000 GPL

ISE-VM --> $ 6.000 GPL

A $ 10.000 Server with only one HDD and one PSU. Unbelievable.

We don't need a bigger appliance. We only need a robust server.