cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client and AAA services on a Cisco ISR Router

jgoughenour
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my name is Jim, and I was just promoted as a trainer for the company I work for.  Part of my new challenge is understanding how the configuration files in both my Terminal Services/VPN Router and Core Router work, so for many of you, these questions are going to seem very fundamental, but please help, I am an instructor in training.  I hold a CCNA, CCNA-Wireless, and a CCSI cert, but I have little working experience in building and maintaining a lab....hence the need for this inquiry.

So to my questions. In our lab environment, we have a router that acts as our terminal services router and VPN router.  Each laptop that connects to the lab has the Cisco VPN client loaded onto it, as well as my laptop that I teach from.  My questions are these:

1.  What parts of the AAA output of the running configuration tell me how to configure the VPN clients on my laptops?

2.  I am using crypto key generate RSA at 1024 bits on the VPN/TS router, so does that tell me how to configure some part of the client?

3.  In our lab, we are going to use a direct connection to an AP to get connected to the network, and how will the absence of an Internet connection affect the settings on the VPN client, or will they?

4.  Are there helpful articles I can read that will answer some or all of these questions? 

Thanks in advance,

Jim

1 Reply 1

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jim,

congratulations

Assuming a basic setup, your router will have something like this:

crypto isakmp client configuration group MyGroup
  key cisco123

So on the client, you configure it to use MyGroup as the group name, and cisco123 as the (group) password.

I'm not sure I understand your question #3 and what you mean by "AP" (Access Point? So WiFi?). In any case you don't need Internet access per se, as long as you have network (IP) connectivity between the host running the vpnclient and the VPN router.

Does this help?

Herbert