cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What are the minimum hardware requirements for the ISE PIC VM?

schason@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In a small lab environment for testing, if we can't allocate the same hardware as a 3515, what is the minimum disk, cpu, memory that can be used?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Scott,

In our lab environments we use 200GB of disk space, 16GB of RAM, and 8 CPUs.  The software will not install on a disk smaller than 200GB but you can try something less with the other specs and see what works.

Regards,

-Tim

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Scott,

In our lab environments we use 200GB of disk space, 16GB of RAM, and 8 CPUs.  The software will not install on a disk smaller than 200GB but you can try something less with the other specs and see what works.

Regards,

-Tim

+1

I have used it on 2 cores, and 8GB RAM and it worked.  But your mileage may vary.  Please let us know what you test with & what your experience is with it.

FYI:  I am running my HOME nodes on a Lenovo Stinkpad W540 running ESXi5.5 w/ 32GB RAM and a single quad-core processor.  That ESXi host is running 2x ISE VMs and my Active Directory & everything performs REALLY well (amazingly so).

Each ISE VM on that Lenovo host was allocated "16GB RAM, 200GB thin provisioned Disk, and 8 processors"   So obviously I have some over-subscription in my home lab (which isn't allowed in production) but has been fine for my BETA testing.

In the past I have also hosted ISE 2.1 on a MAC Mini w/ Fusion.  The Mini only had 16GB RAM max, and it still worked just fine.  MAC OS was a bit sluggish, but the guest VM's performed admirably.

Aaron

Tim,

I had originally designated 4 CPU, 50GB disk and 8GB memory as this is for a small lab. During the install, it said I needed to have a minimum 100GB of disk so I assigned that and then I got the below message:

Are you saying the message I received during install before is wrong and I need to assign 200GB?

Thanks

Scott Chason CISSP®

CONSULTING SYSTEMS ENGINEER.SECURITY SALES

schason@cisco.com<mailto:schason@cisco.com>

Phone: 410-209-9776

Cisco.com<http://www.cisco.com>

Think before you print.

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Please click here<http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html> for Company Registration Information.

Yes.  You need 200GB or > for the BETA.

-Aaron