cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What will be the impact if Cisco ISE is not working or down ?

Hello Team ,

what happens if the CISCO ISE is non functional ? What happens to the end device authentication?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Network_Sarovani I assume you are referring to 802.1x RADIUS authentication?

It depends what you have configured. Use the Inaccessible Authentication Bypass (IAB) feature, also referred to as critical authentication. When configured the switch grants temporary network access to the host and puts the port in critical-authentication state, which allows devices connecting to the network whilst the RADIUS servers are down to gain network access.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-secure-wired-access-prescriptive-deployment-guide/ta-p/3641515#toc-hId-1018207729

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The idea of ISE is to provide network authentication , if down then devices will not be able to go on the network.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

It means devices which uses ISE for authentication will not work ..

Example : PC which is connected to L2 switch on which NAC is enabled on the port will not be functional ..Meaning user will not be able to communicate with other devices .

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you distributed environment, they fall back to other ISE, of not Device Authentication fail back to Local account ( device authentication i take this as device admin) - not end device right ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

End device = PC wired/wireless ,printer, network switches etc 

@Network_Sarovani I assume you are referring to 802.1x RADIUS authentication?

It depends what you have configured. Use the Inaccessible Authentication Bypass (IAB) feature, also referred to as critical authentication. When configured the switch grants temporary network access to the host and puts the port in critical-authentication state, which allows devices connecting to the network whilst the RADIUS servers are down to gain network access.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-secure-wired-access-prescriptive-deployment-guide/ta-p/3641515#toc-hId-1018207729