Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Controller - ISE - Microsoft Domain Controller

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

When using EAP-PEAP-GTC, the Active Directory (AD) response time is around 8 ms. Currently, NL_AUTH_SIGNATURE is being used. However, when using EAP-PEAP-MSCHAPv2, the Domain Controller (DC) response time increases to around 2-3 seconds, Is it ideal for Microsoft Active Directory and it causes wireless authentication to fail
Also How can I change to a more secure signature algorithm, such as NL_AUTH_SHA2_SIGNATURE?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

What version and patch of ISE are you using?  I don't think we have any control over those algorithms within ISE - the best we can do is to run the latest versions of ISE.  There have been some discussions around Windows Server registry hacks set/prefer certain algorithms.

Hi

Thanks for the reply .I am using  2.x

what could be the ideal Active Directory  challenge response time in 

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Version 2.x ?  I guess that is anything from 2.0 to 2.7. Quite a difference. In any case, time to upgrade to 3.2 or later

In most customer scenarios, where the ISE node is in the same data centre as the AD controllers, you'll get responses as low as 10ms in most cases. It depends on how quickly the AD controller can process your request.

In ISE 3.x I also enable DNS caching to alleviate the constant DNS lookups that ISE is performing (because older ISE versions do not cache DNS results). That also helps a bit.