cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 Boot Process Failed Need to Set Factory Default

ruckessbx1
Level 1
Level 1

Loading "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE.bin"...flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5bin: no such file or directory

Error loading "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960s-universalk9-mz.12255.SE5.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.

Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically.  The BOOT

environment variable needs to be set to a bootable

image.

I did a write erase and reload and this happened.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there a bootable image on the device's flash memory? if so you can tell it to boot that while at the rommon prompt on console. If not, you will have to first put a bootable image onto flash or other accessible location.

With a 2960S, the easiest recovery is to use a USB memory stick plugged into the switch's USB Type A port directly as the boot device. See this thread for some tips on that. The documentation says up to 1 GB memory stick is OK but folks have reported success with larger - you must format it FAT 16 though.

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, I can attest to booting a 2960S using USB.  I use this alot! 

Make sure you format the USB stick to FAT16 or else it won't work.

Before you copy the IOS into the USB stick, compare the MD5 Hash to make sure the file is complete and not corrupted.

To USB-boot the 2960S from ROMmon, the command is:  boot usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin

WARNING:  Not all USB sticks are supported.  The link Marvin has posted will give you a little bit of information as to why this is so.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there a bootable image on the device's flash memory? if so you can tell it to boot that while at the rommon prompt on console. If not, you will have to first put a bootable image onto flash or other accessible location.

With a 2960S, the easiest recovery is to use a USB memory stick plugged into the switch's USB Type A port directly as the boot device. See this thread for some tips on that. The documentation says up to 1 GB memory stick is OK but folks have reported success with larger - you must format it FAT 16 though.

I'm using Hyperterminal xmodem to transfer image to switch. I have to find a 1GB flash drive and format FAT 16, wish me luck finding one that small  thanks for the help!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, I can attest to booting a 2960S using USB.  I use this alot! 

Make sure you format the USB stick to FAT16 or else it won't work.

Before you copy the IOS into the USB stick, compare the MD5 Hash to make sure the file is complete and not corrupted.

To USB-boot the 2960S from ROMmon, the command is:  boot usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin

WARNING:  Not all USB sticks are supported.  The link Marvin has posted will give you a little bit of information as to why this is so.

How do you compare the MD5 Hash?

Thanks for your help!

How do you compare the MD5 Hash?

It's a two-part.

For my client, I am using a plug-in called HashTab (it's free).  So when it's installed properly, all you have to do is click the file properties and go to the File Hash tab and compare the MD5.

Where to get the MD5, when you go and choose your IOS, you hover your cursor above the filename and a JAVA box will appear.  Copy the MD 5 values and compare the MD 5 using HashTab. 

Interesting I'll try that. Thanks

If you're on Linux, md5sum is built-in.

On Windows, download a Windows distribution such as this freeware version:

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

Use it to compare your downloaded file's checksum with that listed on the cisco.com download page.

ruckessbx1
Level 1
Level 1

I got myself into this perdicament because I was trying to erase the config and vlans to start fresh.

What is the recommended way to set back to factory default without affecting IOS version 12.2?

Thanks guys...

I got myself into this perdicament because I was trying to erase the config and vlans to start fresh.

What is the recommended way to set back to factory default without affecting IOS version 12.2?

When you erase the config, it shouldn't affect the IOS.  The easiest way to erase the config of a switch is use the command "wr erase" and delete the "vlan.dat" file.

Once you've mastered the (dark, dark, dark) art of booting from USB, the MOST EFFECTIVE method of erasing the config and "vlan.dat" file is to format the flash (Command:  format flash:). 

In addition to the method Leo describes, page 28 of the Getting Started Guide explains how to reset the switch to factory default. No CLI required.

Follow these steps to return your switch to the factory default settings.

To reset the switch:

Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about

3 seconds. Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.

The switch now behaves like an unconfigured switch.

No CLI required.

True, Marvin.  But I think with this method, the config and the vlan.dat files gets re-named to config.txt.rename and vlan.dat.rename.

When we get rid of our appliance we use the "format flash:" because it takes too long to get in, erase the config and vlan.dat and ensure no other files are there.