cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 switch DHCP lease on management SVI

pj0503311
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to build a network device provisioning network that's as automated as possible in terms of bringing up a device for the first time and configuring the switch to our baseline config. I have ISE profiling the new devices and assigning them to a VLAN dynamically so the switchport the new device plugs into comes up on a "Network Onboarding" subnet. I was able to have this work where the physical management interface could pull an IP address but OOB access to the device (switch) isn't possible from a remote network.

I'll be having Prime push out the baseline config to all new devices and then further configuration as well tailored to each device. 

In order for this to work with the least amount of hands on configuration (though there will be some needed) before attaching it to the network I would prefer the new devices pull a temporary DHCP lease on the provisioning network so that when Prime sees a new device on this particular network it knows it's a new device and will start to provision it.

I've seen different versions of this question asked before but they usually turn into debates over why you shouldn't use DHCP for management. Understand that this is not an address that will be used in production; that will be statically assigned after the device has been provisioned.

Does anyone know of how to get a DHCP assigned address onto an SVI on a switch?

1 Reply 1

pj0503311
Level 1
Level 1
I have actually figured this out myself so I'll report it for future Google searches.

You have to do a minimum amount of configuration to get this working.

• First, you'll need to id the subnet you wish to recieve DHCP leases on. In my case it was 10.10.0.0/24.
  • Then, you'll need to be sure to define the VLAN that corresponds with the same subnet on the new device. VLAN 100 for 10.10.0.0/24.
  • Then create an SVI for said VLAN on the new device with a config of "ip address dhcp" and "no shut". 
  • And finally assign a switchport to access that same VLAN. 

The switch will then pull a DHCP reservation for the SVI and you'll be able to manage it from that IP.

vlan 100

interface vlan 100
ip address dhcp
no shut

interface g0/1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 100

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card