cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Absolute Novice; Want to learn TCL for IOS

kidseven112002
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone! I am a mid level network engineer that needs to learn how to automate building switches; my job period. I don't really know where to start, but I know I want to run a script that can learn what ports a device has and configure it from a standard template we use dynamically. Maybe on with the template being pulled via SCP? I know this is a complex question, but any guidance on where to start or what a script to find the ports on a device would look like would be greatly appreciated? I did start reading the "TCL Scripting for IOS" to learn the basics, but I don't natively think like a programmer.

KC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have a look at https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12218591/automating-cisco-live-2014-san-francisco .  This blog article discusses a zero-touch switch automation solution and points you to my code.  The solution has evolved quite a bit since this blog, but the principles are the same.  It should do pretty much what you want from the sound of it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have a look at https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12218591/automating-cisco-live-2014-san-francisco .  This blog article discusses a zero-touch switch automation solution and points you to my code.  The solution has evolved quite a bit since this blog, but the principles are the same.  It should do pretty much what you want from the sound of it.

Joe, side question... where did you get started in programming and aside from me reading the Cisco books and watching random videos where should I go to legitimately learn tcl for networking? I will unfortunately still be using devices that don't support python for a while hence why I'm still asking for tcl guidance. (3850 switches mainly)

I started in college.  Learned C++ and Java, taught myself Perl.  I taught myself Tcl when Cisco opened it up.  I mainly used book references at the time, but now sites like Stackoverflow are great to learn by example.

The 3850 are the first IOS family to support on-box Python starting in 16.5(1).  I'll be discussing this very thing at CiscoLive next week.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card