cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5506-X. Windows 10 x64. Can't install driver and connect via mini USB type B.

Pavel.Dyachuk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have downloaded Cisco_usbconsole_driver_3_1.zip from here: https://software.cisco.com/download/home/282774222/type/282855122/release/3.1

Installed it and rebooted. Pluged in my device via mini USB type B - nothing happened. What shall I do? I'm using laptop without com port.

Windows 10 x64 20H2.

1.jpg2.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pavel.Dyachuk
Level 1
Level 1

Recapping:

1) I reseted device to factory defaults. After that I'm able to connect via MGMT port.

IMG_20210128_091850.jpg

2) I changed cable and after that I'm able to connect via mini USB type B. On both systems - Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 10 20H2.

Conclusion - original cable is defective.

Windows 7.jpgWindows 10.jpg

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Funny thing is that that the README only mentions old Windows version such as XP, and Vista. Do not know what the official support status is on Win10 and you are also using the utmost recent version.... , check this thread - perhaps you may find useful hints :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/mini-usb-console-windows-10/td-p/2983937

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Unfortunately, I have seen it before this topic creation. Didn't work out.

- I am very afraid that it could be a latest-win issue as mentioned. If possible , use an older win10 version or other windows platform , check and verify if the issue becomes persistent.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Windows 10 x64 1909 (18363.1216) - same issue.

Windows 10 x64 1803 (17134.1304) - I can see COM port but it is not Cisco.

1.jpg

- Check baudrate settings in Putty and or make sure it matches with the ASA.

M.

Checked before reply creation.

- You may also want to invoke a sanity check , with a small cisco switch having the same console-type , with standards baud-rates, this in order to verify if the ASA has a 'special problem' or not.

M.

This is my first experience with cisco equipment (bad experience ) and I don't have another device from cisco.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 - same issue. I also tried to reset it to factory defaults with reset button. Reseted, but issue remains the same. I'a out of options, maybe I'll try to find another cable.

2.png

Pavel.Dyachuk
Level 1
Level 1

Recapping:

1) I reseted device to factory defaults. After that I'm able to connect via MGMT port.

IMG_20210128_091850.jpg

2) I changed cable and after that I'm able to connect via mini USB type B. On both systems - Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 10 20H2.

Conclusion - original cable is defective.

Windows 7.jpgWindows 10.jpg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card