cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS - LMS with Cisco experts Svetlana Radzevich and Geert Cober

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to install, maintain, operate and troubleshoot CiscoWorks LAN Management solution with Cisco experts Svetlana Radzevich and Geert Cober. Svetlana has been a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in the Network Management team for five years. She holds a bachelor's degree in computer science from Tomsk Polytechnical University, Russia, and a master's degree in computer science from Saarland University, Germany. Geert is also a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center. He currently works in the Network Management team, supporting customers on the Cisco LAN Management Solution (LMS), Cisco Unified Operations Manager, Cisco Network Analysis Module, Simple Network Management Protocol, and Cisco IOS IP Service Level Agreements technology. He has 10 years experience in troubleshooting Cisco LMS and has delivered multiple sessions on deploying and troubleshooting Cisco LMS at Cisco Live.

Remember to use the rating system to let   know if you have received an adequate response.

Geert and Svetlana might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Management discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through April 8, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

95 Replies 95

Hi Graeme,

I meant "sh env", not "sh ver". Sorry about that.

The "Relative temperature threshold" is how close the current temperature value can be to the system major alarm before LMS triggers an alarm. The system major alarm is the threshold that triggers an emergency shutdown.

For example, on the following device the system major alarm is 50C:

foo#sh environment alarm thresholds mod 1
module 1 outlet temperature: 41C
  threshold #1 for module 1 outlet temperature:
    (sensor value >= 45C) is system minor alarm
  threshold #2 for module 1 outlet temperature:
    (sensor value >= 50C) is system major alarm

This means that the device will shut down when the temperature reaches 50C. LMS already triggers an alarm at 45C because the Relative temperature threshold is 10%.

LMS reads the major alarm on the device through SNMP to learn the major alarm and calculate the thresholds. The problem in the older LMS releases is that they do not allow a temperature threshold of more than 50C. Some platforms have major alarms that exceed 50C so the older DFM versions will trigger false alarms when the temperature exceeds 50C. This defect has been resolved in LMS 3.2 SP1 and LMS 4.0.

Geert

mario55555
Level 1
Level 1

Большое спасибо за помощь!

Steve Warren
Level 1
Level 1

if i change the username and password in a credential set does lms use the new username and password for devices in dcr when performing tasks that require tenet username and password?

If more than one credential set applies to a device which one will lms use when a policy is configured?

Hi Steve,

each time LMS needs to telnet/ssh, it reads the credentials from the credential set. Thus, if you change them, LMS will use a new one.

Not clear which credential sets you are talking about. I suspect that you are talking about SNMP credentials which you configure during the discovery. In this case, lms will use the first entry from the top to which the ip address/hostname of the device belongs.

Svetlana

alkabeer80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Svetlana,

thanks for your help, i have new question:

i have LMS 3.2 license and working ( 1000 Switches and Routers) and i install LMS 4 evaluation 90 days (i will get the license soon). i want both of them to be running while i am testing LMS4 so i implement snmp commands for both as the following:

snmp-server community xyz RO 80

snmp-server community abc RW 80

snmp-server community host x.x.x.x (IP of the first LMS "3.2" server)

snmp-server community host y.y.y.y (IP of the second LMS "4" server)

access-list 80 permit x.x.x.x

access-list 80 permit y.y.y.y

Do you think that both of them will work at the same time? with this configuration on routers and switches what should i do at the lms 4 server should i go to discovery button and enable it ?

thanks

Heinz Rohner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello NMS Experts,

I do have a few specific questions about LMS 4.0:

1.) Is there a way to filter out devices from the Fault Management (Monitor), but for RME Services (Inventory/Config) they should be available?  - for Fault Notification I have found a way

2.) Is there a way to define outage times/ranges for the Fault Management (Monitor) ?  - for the IPSLA I have found a way

3.) Is there a way to select devices which finally will show up in the Device Availability portlet?

4.) Whats the easiest way to restore a topolopy map from an backup and put in place, do I have to modify/adjust any other files ?

Thanks for answering

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card