cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP/OSPF neighborship over ASR 1006-X MGMT Interface

Mukund Sandur
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASR 1006-X router MGMT interface connected to another router. Can I establish BGP/OSPF neighborship between ASR and other router over ASR MGMT Interface.

ASR 1006-X MGMT Interface <-----------BGP-------------> 1921 Router G0/0

Is it possible to do the above config and get routes exchanged between ASR and other router. My main concern is BGP over MGMT Interface.

Thanks & Rgds,

Mukund Sandur

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So one thing that pops straight to mind and I just tested it on spare ASR you cant change or alter the VRF under the MGMT interface which means even if you got it working your BGP traffic would be in the MGMT VRF  which Im sure you  don't want

(config-if)#no vrf forwarding Mgmt-intf
% Management interface VRF can not be changed.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Over MGMT interface, I would just need few BGP prefixes for monitoring purpose to be advertised to my NOC router say 1921. 

Real production traffic is not going to be routed over this MGMT interface.

Hi

but will you not need to put an ip on the MGMT interface to make it useable its not a switching interface and then if you put the interface in an ip it will use the vrf which cant be removed , it may work though as below they do support protocols

this is what's support on a MGMT interface

Supported Features on the Ethernet Management Port

The Ethernet management port supports these features:

• Express Setup (only in switch stacks)

• Network Assistant

• Telnet with passwords

• TFTP

• Secure Shell (SSH)

• DHCP-based autoconfiguration

• SMNP (only the ENTITY-MIB and the IF-MIB)

• IP ping

• Interface features
    • Speed—10 Mb/s, 100 Mb/s, 1000 Mb/s, and autonegotiation

• Duplex mode—Full, half, and autonegotiation

• Loopback detection

• Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP)

• DHCP relay agent

• IPv4 and IPv6 access control lists (ACLs)

• Routing protocols

Hey Mark,

I am anyways going to assign IP address to the Interface and then using VRF leaking from Global to MGMT VRF on ASR, I would propagate few prefixes on to my NOC router over BGP neighbourship between them.

As per supported features over management interface, routing protocols is also supported.

So I guess my requirement should work over here.

Lets hope and would keep you posted.

ah ok yes that's exactly what I was thinking you may have to do leak between them bit messy but that way should work in theory once the MGMT forwards the bgp protocol correctly through the interface , I use the mgmt. ports but we connect them to a mgmt. switch then onto a firewall just using static vrf routes though  , haven't tried to run BGP or an IGP through them , yes let me know if it works please , if your put of actual LAN ports it is an interesting way of a workaround