cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BridgePort to IFindex not correct

rick.heile
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to do an SNMP lookup of the connected station's MAC address per port on a Cat6509 switch. I have followed the documentation on how to look up each component to find the VLAN, MAC, port# and ifIndex. The problem is that the port to ifindex table do not reflect port numbers that are reported by dot1dTpFdbPort. Is there an additional step that has not been documented? I can not believe that I can not do this cross reference.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

3 Replies 3

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Are the MAC addresses statically configured. MAC addresses that are statically configured on the switch via the mac-address-table command are not pollable via the BRIDGE-MIB. Only MAC adresses that have been dynamically learned by the switch will show up in SNMP. This problem has been fixed in Cisco IOS 12.1(11b)EX

Thank you for your answer. The problem is that all of the MAC addresses are learned. Also these switches are not running Cisco IOS but CatOS 7.4(3). According to the white papers I have seen this should not be a problem and should work.

Maybe a patch needs to reapplied?

Rick,

Are you by chance also running port security on these switch(es)? There is a bug (sorry I don't have the Bug ID) in 7.4(3), whereas dynamically learned MAC addresses would become static entries in the configuration during a switch reboot. Code 8.4(5)GLX or higher should fix this.

HTH

Steve

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card