cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk Changes to 100+ routers

CopyRunWORK
Level 1
Level 1

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right/better direction on this.

Currently we have 150 routers connecting back to HQ over VPN. We need to make changes to these routers that would bring down the VPN in the middle of the changes until everything is reworked. As it stands we currently have to dial in to make out of band changes.

Our sites are addressed 10.10.XXX.0/24, xxx=sitenumber.

Does anybody know of a way of using variables in router config commands and then pasting or scripting this config in into the router to be executed later so that it doesn’t matter that the .

We have kiwi cattools for bulk changes but that requires the VPN to be up for every command. Once the vpn is knocked down by any command the remaining changes can't be made and the site is down until someone dials into the site and finishes the config changes.

After reading around I'm leaning toward TCL scripts and kron. Anyone have any other recommendations?

3 Replies 3

ngoldwat
Level 4
Level 4

I've done similar at previous companies (long ago) using a similar combination as you mentioned.  You might want to check out some of the scripts at http://cosi-nms.sourceforge.net/related.html

Specific links:

Ciscocmd

cosi-ciscotool

MISAL

TCL/Expect from our friend at libcisco

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the Links!

Definitely have some reading to do.

Good way is by using macros.

You may first pupulate routers config with macro, and then apply it. It will be applied regardless of connectivity after issuing command.

Macro should be very well crafted obviously.