Views
Helpful
Replies

C3550 Switch - Artifacting console port missing input

hypertext
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

First time poster and new to the cisco and networking world.

I'm currently going to university where I'm studying CCNA R&S.

I've bought myself four C3550(c3550- switches and three routers in the 2600-series for my lab.

I have got this issue with one of the C3550 switches, giving artifacts and missing characters when I'm using the console port.

When typing to the switch, maybe 1 out of 5 characters is registered on the screen, but when pressing enter, the command is registered as normal, despite looking like shwrngcng

Artifacting and huge chunks of missing text is common when requesting output such as show running-config.

This problem seems to not be a ios issue because this is even happening in rommon.

Troubleshooting I've tried but was unsuccessful:

• Use set BAUD command in rommon mode to set BAUD rate. This sure does something as something different than 9600 forces me to change baud settings in Putty. However, does not solve my problem.
  • In ios -> configure terminal -> line console 0 -> speed 9600, no luck here.

These are the things I can think of right now.

The problem is not the console cable as managing switch works fine for every other switch with the exact same setup.

Might've been stupid of me, but I might have remove the ios system from flash, so I only currently have access to the rommon mode.

So what do you think? Lost cause or is it salvageable?

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No not a lost cause

1 reupload image using doc below same for 3550 from rmon

2 setup ssh or telnet or AUX port for future access to avoid using physical console port sound like hardware issue to be honest with port but you may be lucky

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/12714-76.html

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cisco+upload+an+image+from+rommon+youtube&qpvt=cisco+upload+an+image+from+rommon+youtube&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=A0246C7FD09F2D0C0ADCA0246C7FD09F2D0C0ADC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card