Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-L WLC HA broken - V-Mismatch- Trying to upgrade software version

Ninh V B
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a pair of C9800-L-F-K9 WLC that is configured as HA.

Ran into an issue after running the command for software version upgrade  -  'install add file flash:filename.bin activate commit' and reloading. The primary came up with the latest software (17.09.04a) but the secondary is still stuck on the previous version (17.03.04). This broke HA and the secondary is now in the state of V-Mismatch. Primary priority is set as 2 and secondary priority is set as 1.

I'm trying to upgrade the software on the the secondary controller by itself so that both would be on the same version and theoretically HA should restore, but I need remote access to it first.

Now my question is, while I'm on the active controller, if I change the priority around and run the 'reload' command to reload both controller. Will the secondary be active on the next reboot and allow me to remote access it?

Thanks for your time

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Remote or console into the secondary and post the complete output to the command "dir". 

I suspect the 17.9.4a packages are there but hit a very, very well-known bug feature where the process could not change the packages.conf file.  

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your response.

Just an update from my own question - "Now my question is, while I'm on the active controller, if I change the priority around and run the 'reload' command to reload both controller. Will the secondary be active on the next reboot and allow me to remote access it?" - This didn't work since HA is broken, changing the priority didn't come across to the secondary controller when I checked with command 'sh chassis'.

"I suspect the 17.9.4a packages are there but hit a very, very well-known bug feature where the process could not change the packages.conf file."   -  Thanks, the device is at a remote site at the moment, I'm planning to get site assistance to power off both controller > Power on secondary controller alone > Secondary should then switch itself to active > SSH into it > Check directory and see if the 17.09.04a packages are there. If the packages are there and the packages.conf is not pointing to 17.09.04a, I'll rename it and do a reload. Then we'll see what happens next.

Will update on this, thanks.

@Ninh V B wrote:
Power on secondary controller alone

The secondary will need to be completely isolated from the network or it will return to it's original (broken) state.  Connect a console cable and then remove all the uplink and RP.  

Do the diagnosis and rectification from console.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card