Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager performance: odd behaviour with VTP Topology Views

mseppanen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All!

Having problems with Campus Manager 3.X Topology Views when trying to view different VTP views under "Managed Domains" and also "Networks Views". On the tabular Topology tree view (on the left) everything works okay, but when choosing to view graphical topology for some VTP-domain or spesific VLAN by VTP domain, the display freezes up or takes really long time to display something!?

Every other function on CM applications and on Topology views seems to work so i can't understand what could be wrong. That same situation has been existed with other versions of Campus Manager even without how many devices (VTP domains, VLANs, ports etc.) ANI is managing. And the problem is always with the same portions of network area which wholly contains up almost 2000 devices (>90% 2xxx-3xxx Catalyst IOS switches, most of them LRE IOS switches). With other customer networks I haven't seen those kind of problems.

I have overthought this matter it can't be totally performance issue, because tried with only ANI discovering and collecting data (no other applications i.e. RME) with couple of hundreds devices, there is no significant difference. Also it can't be java issue, because everything else works. Also discovering devices (IOS versions should be fresh enough) work well (about 2000 devices discovered in approx. 10 minutes). Even ANI debugging has not given anything to solve this big problem. Problem is really annoying drastically limiting user enthusiam towards CM applications!! So any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,

Marko Seppanen

1 Reply 1

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

Opening the maps(graphical) of VTP Domains, is on the Client side and the communication happens only between client and server. Devices are not queried when you open a map. The info is just got from database. So this should be issue with client side parameters like Java VM. If you are facing this only with VTP Maps or VLAN maps and not with LAN Edge view or Layer 2 view, then make sure the VLANs are discovered properly. May be a stale VLAN info is causing the trouble.

If the Spanning tree filter is selected in the VLAN Maps, it usually take more time to display, as the information is to be queried then from the network.