hi i have a few ospf question

1. how can there be more then two routers on one link 

2. how a priority on one port can determin the DR / BDR 

thanks (:

10 Replies 10

srimal99
Level 1
Level 1
Main consideration while building routine table are 1.Administrative distance(AD) 2.Metric and Prefix length. For instance in a routing table route with lower AD is prefered over higher AD.ie : static route AD of 1 is preferred of OSPF AD of 110. In regards to ospf cost, Ospf compute lowest cost to the destination.Lowest Cost path from ospf point a view will refelect in routing table. 2. Not sure what your question is - need more explaination ( are you referring to router on a stick?) 3.In ospf adjaceny process at Exstart DR?BDR process take place. Howeve, you can manually change priority under interface . Highest priority prefered when it comes to DR/BDR process. ID interface Gi0/0 ip ospf priority 200 hope this helps

8c22c855-bdfc-4713-967b-465cc4c8ac69.jpg

thank you for the reply 

this is from the book, can you explain me the proccess of the DR/BDR election 

I have not check recent CCNA exam books but in the past CCNA level DR/BDR election are simpler comparing what is in CCNP/CCIE books (details are not mentioned).

if you prep for CCNA exam, I am not sure if you want to learn detailed process if it is not on CCNA exam. I would not look for CCNP level info unless I don't understand smthg.  I would stay what is in the CCNA book for CCNA exam. 

are election covered in CCNA book?  is "waiting" timer mentioned?

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Im pretty sure that this is not on ccna

Martin L
VIP
VIP

ad 1.  not straight on 1 single link but this is when devices are connecting via a hub or switch. often mentioned as sharing Ethernet subnet.

ad 2.  DR /BDR elections are held on interfaces that belong to broadcast "shared" medium like Ethernet and Non-Broadcast Multi-Access like Frame relay.  Specifically interface type and medium dictates default settings like DR/BDR election (or not)and Hello/Dead timers.

DR/BDR election is based on highest OSPF router ID and highest interface priority (default is 1) during at neighbor discovery process (exchanging  Hellos).  

Interestingly, Initially, Hello packet includes 0.0.0.0 as Ip of Dr/BDR (meaning unknown);  BDR election is first, then DR.  Election is not preemptive; 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

thanks for the reply
on hub u can understand but on a switch every link is one link (one domain)

Hello @daniel45793 ,

on a switch each port is a separate collision domain, that is an OSI layer 2 concept associated to Ethernet.

But multiple switch ports can be in the same VLan / broadcast domain and this allows to have three or more routers in the same subnet / broadcast domain.

in this context a DR/BDR election occurs as already explained in this thread.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thank you for clrearing this up for me (:

thanks for the reply
on hub u can understand but on a switch every link is one link (one domain)

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The original post asks 2 questions and I offer these answers:

1) how can there be more than 2 routers on one link? It depends on how you interpret the term link. In modern switched technology networks we might consider each switch interface to be a separate link. But in the older technology where the term link was used it was quite different. Think of a 10BaseT network. There was a cable that provided the Ethernet network. Multiple devices connected to the Ethernet cable. And the link was the cable which could easily have more than 2 routers connected to it. When we use the term link in the context of OSPF routers we are thinking more of the vlan broadcast domain than we are of the collision domain.

2) how a priority on one port can determine the DR / BDR.  I would say first that priority can influence the election but not necessarily determine the election. In the OSPF election for BDR and DR the BDR election takes place first so lets start with a simplified explanation of the BDR election. The election takes place on multi access interfaces (other type of interfaces such as point to point or loopback do not have elections). Each OSPF interface has a priority. The default value is 1 and if we want to influence the election we can configure a different priority. For some routers we may want that they NOT be elected and we configure their priority to be zero. Other routers we may want them to be elected and we can configure their priority to a higher value. 

When a router joins a network it sends a Hello message, and that message has fields that identify the BDR and the DR. The router listens for Hello messages from other routers on the network. If it receives Hello messages from another OSPF router it looks in that Hello message at the BDR and DR fields. If the BDR field is non zero then there has already been an election and the new router knows the identity of the BDR (and of the DR) and there is not a new election (even if the new router has a priority higher than the current BDR it does not cause a new election). If the BDR field is zero then there are at least 2 routers on the network and an election takes place. The election process compares the priority of the eligible routers. If there is a single router with priority higher than other routers then this router wins the election and becomes BDR. If there are multiple routers with the highest priority then the election compares the RID of the candidates and chooses the BDR based on the RID. 

Once the BDR is settled the routers consider the DR. If the DR field in the received Hello message is non zero then a DR has already been elected and there is no new election. If the DR field is zero then there is not an existing DR and the election process for DR is to promote the BDR to becomes DR.

Just because we configure a higher priority on an OSPF interface does not necessarily mean that the router is going to be elected. Consider these possibilities:

- if a router joins the network and has configured a high priority but the election has already taken place then the new (high priority) router will not become DR (or VDR).

- if a router joins the network and has configured a high priority and there is another router with the same high priority then the election will be based on RID and not priority.

One other thing to consider. If we assign a priority of zero then the router will never will an election. What if all the routers on the link have priority of zero? Remember that OSPF routers on a multi access network will form full adjacency only with the DR and with the BDR. If there is no DR and no BDR then no adjacencies are formed and therefore no OSPF routes are exchanged (and you basically have a broken network).

HTH

Rick