Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Device ip to name

alkabeer80
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have problem with lms 3.2, some of the devices appear as name and the others appear as ip.

i want to change all device to appear as name instead of ip address.

i tried changing them from both RME devices and from common services, the next day when the lms rediscover the devices again it re change them to IPs.

how can i achieve this, change all of the devices from ip to name?

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Indeed, you add the devices to the hosts file on the LMS server.

In CSCOpx\bin there is a resolver.pl that you can use to check if LMS can resolve a name to an ip or an ip to a name

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

You may need to delete from Common Services and rediscover the devices in order for the local host file name resolution to take effect in CiscoWorks.

Also, local hosts is a working solution; but in my opinion the better solution is to update your DNS system to resolve the devices' IP addresses to names and then all systems that interact with the devices can use their FQDN - not just the CiscoWorks host.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Put the devicenames in DNS or local hosts file.

Cheers,

Michel

hi,

can you please tell me more, what should i do ?

do i need to add the names to host file of local machine of LMS server ?

thanks

hi,

i change the host file where the LMS is installed , do i need to change also in common services or the IP to name map will work just if i change the host file ?

thanks,

Indeed, you add the devices to the hosts file on the LMS server.

In CSCOpx\bin there is a resolver.pl that you can use to check if LMS can resolve a name to an ip or an ip to a name

Cheers,

Michel

You may need to delete from Common Services and rediscover the devices in order for the local host file name resolution to take effect in CiscoWorks.

Also, local hosts is a working solution; but in my opinion the better solution is to update your DNS system to resolve the devices' IP addresses to names and then all systems that interact with the devices can use their FQDN - not just the CiscoWorks host.

thanks it works