Views
Helpful
Replies

Change of STP priority to root primary

rafaelsalvinos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a network composed of approximately 100 switches that uses the MST protocol as an antiloop protocol.

The CORE switch is the root bridge of the network and has priority 24576.

To eliminate the risk of inserting a switch in the network with a priority lower than 24576 and generating a root convergence, I am thinking of changing the priority of the CORE switch to "root primary" thus avoiding an improper root convergence.

Considering that the CORE switch is already root of the network and I would just change the priority to root primary on the CORE switch, would this generate some kind of unavailability / convergence on the network?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Javier Acuña
Spotlight
Spotlight

Greetings, thanks for communicating with the Cisco community, when applying the priority change you will not have service unavailability because simply STP will send an update to the entire network indicating your priority change

remember to rate this answer as this motivates you to continue contributing in the cisco community

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically should not have any issue - since it is just a topology change notification for the neighbours or peer devices, since the same device acting as the root.

Since STP is the devil, I always do this in a maintenance window. (since you mentioned MST environment).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Javier Acuña
Spotlight
Spotlight

Greetings, thanks for communicating with the Cisco community, when applying the priority change you will not have service unavailability because simply STP will send an update to the entire network indicating your priority change

remember to rate this answer as this motivates you to continue contributing in the cisco community

Thanks!!