Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing IP Addresses (192 to 10)

_Chris_
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Still a new network guy here. Our organization is interested in changing the current 192.x.x.x ip addresses to a 10.x.x.x scheme. I have given interfaces IP's before and created DHCP pools before in labs... but I have not transitioned an existing (in production) config to a new one. I'm not sure if I start with configuring a separate interface first or make changes to the existing interface that is in production?

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Both schemes could probably work, but I am convinced that on an Intranet with tree-like or dependent services you will not be able to accomplish an 'ISSU'  Intranet-transition and or without downtime albeit short for some services.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not know much about the network environment of this post and that makes it difficult to give good advice. We know only that there is some network topology that has used 192.x.x.x and wants to transition to 10.x.x.x. Are there to be any new devices introduced to the network for this transition? Are there any changes to the physical topology for this transition? Is there any intention to do Proof Of Concept testing?  If there are to be new devices or physical topology changes then I could see some advantage in starting by configuring new interfaces. If there is to be any Proof Of Concept testing I could see starting by configuring new interfaces. But if there are no new devices and no physical topology changes and no Proof Of Concept then I do not see any purpose in configuring new interfaces.

HTH

Rick