cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco APIC installation on VMware stops without warning

TheAnalyst
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to install Cisco APIC v 5.2(e) o a VMware virtual machine. The installation starts and after a few secons stops and vm turns off.

I am using aci-apic-dk9.5.2.2e.iso and have given 4 cpus and 16GB of RAM to the vm. What do you think the problem is?

10 Replies 10

Hello,

hard to say. The iso image is quite large, what machine or you installing this on, and what VMware version ?

I am using aci-apic-dk9.5.2.2e.iso image. I have VMWare Workstation 16.2.
I resolved to ova file but again VMWare didn't import it but virtualbox had no problem importing the file. I have not turned on the machine yet, though.

Hello,

4 processors and 16GB RAM sounds like it should be enough. What is the maximum of RAM you can assign ? The file size is >6GB, how much disk space do you have left ?

I have 64GB of RAM on my server and 32 should be allocated to other VMs. Disk space is ample.

I read somewhere that I need at least 1 physical APIC to have vAPICs in my network. This might be reason since I am trying to install the APIC on a virtual machine. I had luck with VAPIC but in the end it did not initialize, maybe because of that reason.

Hello,

can you actually run the APIC in VirtualBox ? I don't know if I am looking at the correct page, but in the compatibility matrix linked below, neither Workstation nor Virtual Box are listed at all...

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/Website/datacenter/aci/virtualization/matrix/virtmatrix.html

That's a great reference! Thanks for the link.

I actually tried installing on virtualbox with the same result! I guess, I might try on ESX, though I have installed Windows on my server as the main OS.

Hello,

I cannot really test this on my own machine, since I do not have the ISO image you are using. Maybe it is possible for you to post it on a download site ? Probably not completely legal, but if I have the image, I can run some tests here as well.

According to that matrix, it should not run on Workstation or VirtualBox at all...

I coud get it deon this torrent:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1A16AACE95C0C84F513BF8F6EB2822A74E8FD476&dn=Nexus3K_9K

Hello,

I am trying to get the torrent, it might take a while...

EDIT: I noticed the size of the torrent is 461GB, that does not look right. Did you actually download this one ?

No, of course not. 

The torrent contains a number of files and you need to download only the mentioned file and skip others.