Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 6506-E Netflow Configuration

mscha2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to enable netflow on my 6506-E core switch.  The switch is the core switch for our HQ network serving 400+ people.  I don't want any down time, can someone recommend the best way to do this with the lowest risk factor.  Should I follow my instinct and do this off hours?

Is this all I need to do (obviously substituting my IP's and other specific info)

Enable NetFlow

The first step to configure NetFlow in your network is to enable NetFlow in both the MSFC and PFC. This example shows the step-by-step process on how to enable NetFlow:

1. Enable Netflow on the PFC.
  2. Configure flow mask on the PFC.
  3. Enable NetFlow on the MSFC.
  4. Enable NetFlow for Layer 2-switched traffic on the PFC.
Switch
Switch(config)#interface Vlan10 Switch(config-if)#ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0 Switch(config-if)#exit
Switch(config)#interface Vlan20 Switch(config-if)#ip address 10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0 Switch(config-if)#exit
Switch(config)#interface loopback 0 Switch(config-if)#ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.255 Switch(config-if)#exit
Switch(config)#interface fastEthernet 3/1 Switch(config-if)#no switchport Switch(config-if)#ip address 10.10.200.1 255.255.255.0 Switch(config-if)#exit!--- This configuration shows that 
!--- the VLANs are configured with IP addresses.

!
Switch(config)#mls netflow
!--- Enables NetFlow on the PFC.!
Switch(config)#mls flow ip full 
!--- Configures flow mask on the PFC. 
!--- In this example, flow mask is configured as full.!
Switch(config)#interface Vlan10Switch(config-if)#ip route-cache flowSwitch(config-if)#exit
Switch(config)#interface Vlan20Switch(config-if)#ip route-cache flowSwitch(config-if)#exit
Switch(config)#interface fastEthernet 3/1Switch(config-if)#ip route-cache flowSwitch(config-if)#exit
!--- Enables NetFlow on the MSFC.
Switch(config)#ip flow ingress layer2-switched vlan 10,20!--- Enables NetFlow for Layer 2-switched traffic on the PFC. 
!--- It also enables the NDE for Layer 2-switched traffic on the PFC.

0 Replies 0