cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS DHCP Server Update IOS DNS Server

thoward1
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to configure a DHCP server and DNS server on a router running IOS so that when a DHCP lease is given to a DHCP client (e.g. a computer on the network), the hostname provided by the client is added to the IOS DNS server and is then resolvable by DNS clients (other computers on the network)? Is there any information or configuration examples for how this can be set up?

Note: I have seen lots of information and configuration examples for triggering updates when an interface on the Cisco device itself receives an IP address but this is not what I want.

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It  may be possible but I advise against it , DHCP services should be setup apart from routing and or switching services 2) the hostname-on-the-network should be  provided by the network administrator of the Intranet-DNS server, let alone to prevent 2 hosts to announce themselves on the network with the same hostname. The router can then also be configured to use the Intranet-DNS servers for hostname resolving.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I do currently have a separate host that runs DNS and DHCP services. In this case though, it is a very small network and so having an additional host to run DNS and DHCP services is not ideal. It would be more convenient to run them on the router. Also, hostnames are closely managed so that no two hosts use the same hostname.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: